04 August 2013

The Old "Shave and a Haircut" Knock Trick

This Sunday after 3pm I lay down for a little sleep.  I had not been laying there ten minutes when I heard a loud, "Shave and a Haircut - two bits!" knock on the glass by the front door.  "Now who could that possibly be?" I thought to myself as I creaked to my feet.  I walked down the stairs hoping it would be someone that I knew.  It wasn't.  It's an experience I've had far too often for my liking, even after placing a sticker which asks politely for salespeople to refrain from knocking.  The second I cracked the door the nice young lady wouldn't stop talking, briskly showing me her wares, and inquiring about my interest in her paintings.  She was a bit put-off when I was able to break in a minute later and say, "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested."  She kept talking even after I closed the door.

I have to say, I really struggle when people come to my door to sell me things.  If I wanted to change my electricity provider, I wouldn't do it with a fast-talking salesman who shows up at my door unannounced.  Then there are those cagey folks who aren't actually selling anything - so they say!  It doesn't matter who it is or what they are selling:  after they leave, I always tussle with salesmen rejection remorse.  It is not that I have ever actually been tempted to buy anything.  But I always think later:  "Was I too harsh or abrupt?  It could have been a scam, but possibly it was someone trying to make an honest living.  Should I have tried to engage them in an actual conversation?  How could that have gone better?"  The self-talk inevitably goes on an on.  And I pray.  Something about people coming to my door sends me crying out to God, and sleeping becomes out of the question.

After this latest unwanted intrusion, many thoughts swirled around in my head.  The truth is, I don't trust anyone who comes to my door I don't already know.  I don't know who they are or what they are about.  Then I started thinking:  what if that girl had come to the door asking for water, food, or money?  My guard would have dropped a little.  Once it is clear I am not being swindled out of something I can relax a bit.  When the Salvos have their shield appeal, it's a very different feeling.

When I lived in San Diego, I had an interesting conversation with a friend who originally was from Ohio.  He said it was not out of the ordinary for friend to drop by unannounced and to extend hospitality, share a drink and a chat.  He said he noticed that was not often the norm in Southern California.  When he dropped by a friend's house because he was in the area, they were quite guarded.  They might open the door to shake his hand, but never once invited him inside.  He found it most disappointing.  It's true:  inviting an unexpected visitor into your home is personal business.  It means you are choosing to put aside your plans and to gladly extend hospitality to an impromptu guest.  It is a sacrifice of love when done joyfully.  As I thought of my friend's story, I thought of Jesus Christ's words in Revelation 3:20:  "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

Jesus says those words in context not to strangers, but to the members who comprise His Body - the church.  When Jesus stands at the door and knocks, calling out to those within, it is with the implication that the person on the inside of the house has the power to either open the door or leave it shut.  We can ignore the door and Christ's voice, we can open the door for a chat but block His entrance (because we're not exactly prepared or have other things we'd rather do), or we can open the door and invite Him in.  If Jesus chooses to drop by, I don't want to be too busy with other things to spend time with Him.  I don't want to pretend I'm not available when my Saviour seeks my company.  To have a meal with Jesus!  What a treat!  If we will hear His voice and open the door, Jesus will come in to us so we can share fellowship together.

This morning at church we had a wonderful time of fellowship and a time of remembrance through Communion.  Bread and juice were received, symbols of Christ's broken body and shed blood for our sins.  It is a good thing to walk in obedience to Him and proclaim His death until He comes in remembering the price paid.  God is challenging me to show my appreciation to Him for all He as done in the form of loving others even as He loves me.  Even when pesky fast-talking sign-ignoring salespeople with agendas knock at my door, I pray God helps me make it my agenda to love them as people He died to save.  When someone knocks at the door, Christ knocks in a strange disguise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)