02 July 2014

Proud or Humble?

The other day I was struck with a simple truth:  things which tempt me to be proud are the very things which God desires to use to humble me.  Pride comes from a high regard of self.  Our flesh always seeks promotion and recognition.  The basis for true humility springs from a high view of God.    After being born again by faith in Jesus, our whole perspective changes through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.  Our chief satisfaction is found in service and glory of God instead of serving self.

Tonight I have a privilege of going to my dad's ordination at Calvary Chapel Santee and I have been asked to share a few words.  From a fleshly standpoint, I have always been "proud" of my dad.  He has always been my pastor, and has always been an godly example for me to follow.  Should I be proud of him, however, it reveals I seek to promote myself through him.  Instead of a feeling of pride, I am greatly humbled that God would grant me such a rich blessing in my dad.  I find it humbling that I should be asked to speak at the service.  It is not because I am a "spiritual" person, but simply the Holy Spirit has continued to transform the way I think and live, bringing my life into submission through God's Word.  God has revealed to my mind and heart that pride cannot have a place in my life.  The acceptance or cultivation of pride in anything cannot be justified in a believer, even if the world says it is man's just due.

The things which make us proud God desires would instead humble us.  The things we view as great achievements and accomplishments are gifts God has provided us by His grace.  I did not deserve a wonderful father nor a loving mother.  In His infinite mercy God has provided these people in my life, and they would be the first to say that anything good in them comes only from God.  Pride in my life will cause me to not see blessings from God as they truly are:  gifts by His infinite grace.  God resists the proud, thus short-circuiting grace I fall short of.  Everything we have and all we are is a product of God's goodness and grace, and this should cause us to be humble, grateful, and thankful to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)