11 December 2014

The Good Person

"Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, but who can find a faithful man?"
Proverbs 20:6

This Proverb of Solomon is proved true to this day.  Most people measure themselves selectively against others.  It is easy to find faults in others (perhaps since the sins of others appear more heinous than our own) and therefore most people claim to basically be a "good" person.  Unfortunately the world has dumbed-down the biblical definition of "good" to a ridiculously low level.  Jesus brought this to light when He was addressed as, "good teacher" in Mark 10:17-18:  "Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" 18 So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God."  Jesus in essence said to the man and the world:  I am either good and God or I am not good at all, for there is none good.  Not one person save Jesus Christ could ever be rightly called good in God's estimation.

Goodness is synonymous with absolute perfection according to God's righteous standard.  Psalm 14:2-3 gives us God's perspective on the matter, the holy Judge of all the earth.  "The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. 3 They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one."  It is God's judgment from a perspective of absolute righteousness - not our personal assessment from deeply distorted and perverse character - which carries any weight at all.  There is no one good but God.  Because I am not God, I am not good.  It is not my job to convince you that you are not good according to God's standard.  The commandments of God were given for this purpose.  None of us measure up.

Have you ever said words you wish you could take back?  I would suspect we all have.  I remember vividly one day talking with someone and she said, "You're a good person.  Admit it!"  I protested at first, but finally gave in and acknowledged I was a good person.  I spoke those words privately, but now I say publicly as I have many times since:  I am not a "good" person.  As Paul said, in my flesh no good things dwells (Romans 7:18).  I am fully convinced there is not a single good bone in my body.  I am an ungrateful, selfish, proud wretch who deserves to burn eternally in hell, despite any "good" other men may perceive in me.  The Bible compares the life of man to a vapour, a wisp of smoke, green grass that flourishes one day and is gone and forgotten the next.  In the end, my brief life and futile deeds are without significance.

But the wonderful truth is Jesus Christ is good for He is God!  He came to earth for the express purpose of seeking and saving sinners like me.  He lay down His own life on a cross so sinners could be saved from sin and be reconciled to God.  Jesus loves me in spite of my wickedness, and through the Gospel God has offered me forgiveness and His righteousness.  Because I remain in this corruptible body I am a sinner, yet through faith in Jesus I have been born again by the Holy Spirit.  I am not good, but now I know the God who is good because He lives within me.  Because of God's grace His goodness is now evident through my life and other born again Christians.  It is written in Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."  Connected to Christ through faith in Him, His life can be lived out through mine.  Any goodness visible in me is only from Him, and in this I rejoice.

I cannot right the wrongs of that day over 20 years ago when I claimed to be a good person.  That was a grave sin, for according to God's terms I claimed deity.  No amount of doing "right" can undo wrong.  Thankfully God has washed me clean and placed His righteousness upon me.  I am free from all guilt!  I can from this day forward choose to glorify Jesus Christ as His humble servant.  He is the only good man who ever lived, for He is God.  Who can find a faithful man?  I couldn't, for there is no good, no not one.  Praise God that Jesus opened my eyes, found me, cleansed me of all sin, is faithful, and will always remain good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)