05 August 2015

Feeling Unappreciated?

Do you sometimes feel unappreciated?  When we feel unappreciated, the tendency towards bitterness, resentment, and ultimately inaction is a natural slide.  We can fall into the trap of measuring the usefulness of our deeds based upon the response we receive from others.  Did Jesus embrace the cross because He knew some might appreciate it?  No!  The lack of "appreciation" expressed by others didn't enter into His decision.  He shed His blood knowing most people wouldn't appreciate or appropriate it!  God had prepared a good work to enter into through sacrifice, and Jesus was obedient and faithful to see it through regardless of how much others appreciated it.

I don't always feel appreciated.  Just yesterday I was feeling like my efforts to help others were not appreciated or being recognised at all.  But as I examined my feelings according to scripture, I realised I was looking to the response of others to encourage me to serve when my eyes ought to be fixed on Jesus.  "I don't feel appreciated, God." I said to Him.  At that moment I felt as if God smiled upon me and said, "I still love you."  That little word made all the difference.  Even if I wasn't appreciated at all by others, I was still loved by God.  When God's love for me is my motive in serving Him and others, what profound joy we can experience!  Too often we substitute the appreciation of others for the love of God, and it is we who rob ourselves of the joy and strength we need to endure times of difficulty.

So instead of looking for signs of appreciation or affirmation from others in doing good, recognise and respond to the love of God demonstrated for you.  Even if no one notices or seems to care about the sacrifices you make, God still loves you.  And if this doesn't warm your heart and bring a smile to your face, may God open your eyes and heart to receive His love.  Improperly received or over-valued appreciation by others is a thief that robs God of glory.  When we don't feel appreciated by others, it provides deeper channels for us to draw upon the love of God.  How good it is therefore to feel unappreciated and remain obedient!  Man's praise quickly fades, but the joy of the LORD endures forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)