30 August 2015

Keep Going Deeper!

Years ago a mate of mine led my wife Laura and me on a trek through the National Pass at Wentworth Falls.  This morning I decided I would rise early and have a special morning with Jesus, worshiping and reading the Bible (with a Thermos of coffee!) at the base of the falls.  It was a moving experience.  With the access available to Christians by faith in Christ through the Holy Spirit to the Father, we do not need to rise from our beds to gave the presence of God with and in us.  But it is a profitable and glorious practice to set aside time to sit still before God when it costs something.  Jesus went away for solitary times with the Father, and we do well to follow His example.

At the top of the falls, I was delighted by the crisp air and beautiful scenery.  The volume of water was not as much as I have seen before, but the water happily rushed along.  It was in my mind to head straight for the bottom of the valley, down the "Slacker Stairs."  I do not know the history of the title in context, for it is not for the faint of heart or for those with feeble knees!  Down, down, down I went, waiting for the breathtaking moment when the lower pool of the falls came into view.  I was not disappointed.  It was gorgeous, and the time spent singing, reading, and praying with the LORD was more precious still.

As I trudged back up the steep incline, I passed several groups of tourists.  It was not so long ago I was a tourist in a foreign land, but now I am a citizen!  If I could speak the language of the travelers I would say, "Don't stop at the top - make sure you go all the way to the bottom.  You are in for a real treat!"  People smiled and gasped in amazement at the top of the falls, and others seemed a bit underwhelmed from the lookout points near the carpark with cameras in hand.  Imagine traveling from a faraway country, I thought, and staying in the carpark.  Imagine being content with pictures at the top of the falls because you are unwilling to climb down because of the climb back up.  Some people don't have the time built into their tour schedule to go down to the bottom, and for some it would be unsafe due to physical limitations.  But if you could go deeper into the canyon, the views would blow you away.

I believe many people know and love God, but they are fine with the vistas from the lookout near the carpark and to hear the waterfall in the distance.  Others are content to expend a bit of energy and see the falls from the top, even cooling their tired feet in the clean streams.  But then there are others who have discovered the beauty and grandeur of going deeper still.  Forty years of my life has passed, and I have been happy with a level of commitment of faith and sacrifice unto God which could be much deeper.  It took a friend who cared enough to drive me to Wentworth Falls and took me on the National Pass, but now I have gone beyond where we went before.  The same is true of discipleship and following Jesus.  We need people in the church willing to invest their lives in others, demonstrating a life of faith and love in Christ, so others can learn and go deeper on their own.

Keep going no matter the cost, follower of Jesus Christ!  You are in for a real treat in this life if you press on, and eternity will be even more glorious still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)