04 April 2016

Our Eternal Hope

Our family has enjoyed hosting my parents who are visiting from the United States.  It had been a couple years since we have been able to visit in person, and it is a privilege and blessing for which we are most grateful.  We've had great conversations and have had fun praying, working, and driving around town.  Just being together is a treasure money cannot buy.

My dad made a great observation over a pair of wire strippers.  The tool was marketed to do it all:  crimp, cut, and strip wire insulation.  Problem was, the claims of the packaging did not match the ability of the tool itself.  In my hand I held a waste of twenty dollars.  "The thing is useless, absolutely hopeless," I said in disgust as I placed the tool back into the plastic to return it.  My dad said something to the effect of, "Isn't it great that God chooses to use us even though we can't accomplish anything good?"  A fair question.  Yep, that is great indeed!

Paul said that in his flesh dwelt no good thing, and it rings true for all today.  I don't know about you, but when I buy tools I am not lured by the cheaper cost of no-name, generic tools.  I am looking for quality construction, durability, and reliability.  I am also not interested in buying tools or appliances with soiled or ripped packaging, and am especially wary if the item for sale has been used and sloppily resealed and sold as new.  As I placed those hopeless wire strippers on the receipt, I had to admit the truth:  in my flesh I am just as useless and hopeless - without the benefit of neat and clean packaging.  Yet in God's hand sinners forgiven by God's grace are His chosen tools to build His kingdom.  The blood of Jesus purchased our redemption, and when we fail God doesn't demand a refund.  He holds us close and will never let go.

A quality tool designed for the job at hand is important, and because of the vast range of quality between brands and styles we might actually boast in a tool.  But boasting in people or accomplishments is as empty as the false advertising on those wire strippers.  Isn't it wonderful that we are utterly hopeless, yet we have eternal hope through Jesus?  When it comes to life as a Christian the only one in whom we can rightly boast in is Jesus Christ our Saviour.  He is the One worthy of praise.  Psalm 34:1-3 says, "I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; the humble shall hear of it and be glad. 3 Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)