12 April 2016

The Path and Destination

Early this morning I drove my parents to the airport to catch their flight back to San Diego.  As we slowly crept along, my mum commented on the GPS affixed to my windscreen.  A couple of times I had ignored the directives of the GPS and went a different way because I have learned various paths to avoid lights.  My mum wisely pointed out it was a good illustration of how we can go the way we think is best and ignore God's guidance.  It was a good point.  I turned on the GPS, plugged my destination into it, but could easily deviate from the path plotted for me - assuming it would recalculate to bring me to my intended destination.  The fact is, sometimes we don't know exactly where God is leading us, when, or how He will bring us to His destination.  We need to seek Him, and there is little point of asking for guidance if we have no intention to obey Him.

Jesus told a parable to illustrate the danger of covetousness, and there is great wisdom which can gleaned straight from the text which proves God's way is different from man's way.  Luke 12:16-17 reads, "Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?'"  Many followers of Jesus are like this rich man.  God has provided for us bountifully, and instead of seeking Him how we should use all He has given our thoughts never leave our own heads.  Notice how the rich man "thought within himself."  The man in the parable is like a man who has a car, a GPS, but has no idea where he is supposed to go.  He was a man without a destination but the means to go wherever he wanted.  So he did what we all do:  he did what he thought best.

Luke 12:18-19 explains his thought process:  "So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.'"  Because the rich man did not seek God, he spoke to himself words he was glad to hear.  He did not hear from God until it was too late.  He was content with the prospect of wealth and ease on earth for his soul but did not realise he was spiritually poor before His Maker and Judge.  The rebuke from heaven came as a trumpet blast in Luke 12:20-21:  "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' 21 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."  The man who imagined his bills would be paid for years to come was now confronted with massive debt before God.  Such is the price of unbelief, covetousness, and selfishness.

A man known for wisdom can also be a great fool.  A fool is someone who does not regard God or trust Him as he ought.  Christians have all the wisdom of the kingdom of God through Christ Himself to guide us available, but we can choose to go our own way.  Psalm 10:4 says, "The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts."  If we desire to hear the wisdom and walk in the guidance of God, we must seek Him and ask with the intent to obey.  Take care that your thoughts go beyond your own brain so our prayer life is not reduced to an internal exercise which falls woefully short of heaven.  God knows where He is guiding us and knows the best way for us to go - even if it seems like it is the long way.  The long way is often the best way.  Jesus is the beginning, the Way, Truth, Life, and the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)