12 May 2016

The Pineapple of Reputation

During the discipleship course at Calvary Chapel Sydney I recently read The Pineapple Story, a short and humorous tale of how God used pineapple to teach a missionary to give everything to God.  In fighting for his rights over his pineapple garden the missionary became extremely angry.  It was only after he gave the garden to God that he was delivered from anger.  We can be angry, fight for our rights, and scheme with all our might for control.  Anger can be a useful trigger to show us all the things we have yet to commit to God.  Ultimately the story is much bigger than pineapples.  God desires we would hand over every part of our lives to Him in obedience, trusting and rejoicing in Him.  That is the place of true joy and contentment.

One pineapple in my garden as a young apprentice was that of reputation.  When I entered the mechanical insulation trade, I prayed God would make me as Daniel who stood out as excellent among his peers.  God answered my prayer and gave me skill to understand, memorise, and the physical talent to perform the work at a high level.  I was nominated as apprentice of the year and was a standout in the class and in the field.  But one day in class during my second year, I was pulled aside by the apprenticeship coordinator.  One of the foremen I worked for - a man who had signed for me as a new apprentice - had called the union hall and threatened to press charges for insubordination.  I was stunned.  I was told I might need to miss a day of work and make the 1.5 hour drive to the hall to explain my actions.

In addition to being shocked, I was furious.  This was a man for whom I worked hard.  When he showed up late, I covered for him.  When he was away, I continued to work faithfully.  I did quality work and job after job made money for the company.  And now he was threatening to press charges for insubordination?  What had I done besides make him look like a managing superstar?  I had been told from the beginning of my career in the trade, "The reputation you make as an apprentice you will carry for ten years or more."  What was I to do?  How I wrestled with the situation!  I was being unfairly targeted for some reason, and I obsessed over what I might have done or what I could do to exonerate myself.  Even talking face to face with my boss only seemed to escalate the problem.  This was no prank:  the consequences of this situation threatened my career.  Anger and worry became my daily companions, stuffed away inside.  In the darkness the bad feelings multiplied like yeast through flour.

When thinking about The Pineapple Story all those years ago it struck me:  I had never given my reputation to God!  I was angry about my precious reputation being slandered.  God's gentle rebuke came:  "Your reputation?  I thought you said I was in charge of that."  You see, all my thoughts were focused on me looking good, me being a standout. that I would be recognised as a Daniel - not for God, but for me.  This attack exposed my selfish pride.  I was convicted I had not been trusting God to handle this impossible problem.  I realised I had vented my frustration to God but I never sought Him specifically for guidance. I was angry at seeing my reputation damaged and sought to regain control.  But I never had control over my reputation in the first place!  I had asked God to establish and help me, and the fact I was angered by this attack revealed I had idolised my reputation.  Pride in my success had crept into my heart and to see my reputation being spoiled angered me.  After God spoke to my heart I repented of my sinful anger and gave my reputation into His hands.  I stopped trying to pull strings.  I found rest in resigning myself to God's will in continuing - as much as depended on me - to live peaceably with everyone.

My story had a happy ending.  The anger which was consuming me absolutely disappeared seemingly without a trace.  Instead of worry and bitterness joy filled my heart.  The man who threatened to charge me with insubordination suddenly lost interest, and I was told I did not need to appear before the union committee.  The war of bitterness and anger in my heart had been won by Jesus Christ, and I found myself basking in the peace of God.  I was light as a feather, free and untouchable in the protection of God!  I can say with absolute confidence that even if I had been brought up on charges, even if I had to miss a day of work and appear at the union hall, even if I had been fired from my job, the peace and joy of the LORD would have continued to be my strength.  The battle which was tearing me apart from the inside had been won by my Saviour.  Committing my reputation and future into God's hand was an important step to free me from sin so I could walk in Christ's victory.

Giving specific areas of our lives of conflict humbly to God is a way of denying ourselves, taking up our cross daily, and following Jesus.  Jesus did not begrudgingly set His face to Calvary because of the pain He would endure, but because of the joy which set before Him (Hebrews 12:1-2).  In fighting for self and our rights as children of God we fight a battle already lost.  The sinful anger which burns within us and fuels our rage does more damage to our souls than anything another person can do to us.  Anger will consume your life, lead to bitterness and resentment, and defile others.  When we fight for our rights we will always lose - even if we seem to win for the moment.  It is infinitely better to chose the path of giving ourselves and the protection of our rights to God, for He is in control and we are not.  He alone is able to accomplish what concerns you and me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)