10 June 2016

Humbling The Proud

Only God can change the hearts of people, but that doesn't stop people from trying.  Some feel it is their hilarious duty to fire verbal barbs at others and after potentially embarrassing or wounding their target they say with a smile, "I was only joking!' or "Just keeping you humble!"  I have learned there are only two who are capable to humble me:  God and myself.  The scriptures say that God casts down the proud and gives grace to the humble.  It also says to believers, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the LORD, and He shall lift you up." (James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:5-7)  For any who take it upon yourself the task of keeping others humble, good luck.  All the luck in the world will do you no good.  You will discover your most vigilant efforts are futile and in doing so you trespass on God's sovereign territory.

The other night I finished reading the book of Job.  It was something God said towards the end of the book which made me consider again the idea of humbling others.  In God's address to Job, He bombarded him with questions he could not answer.  He also challenged him to do things which are impossible for men.  He said in Job 40:11-14, "Disperse the rage of your wrath; look on everyone who is proud, and humble him. 12 Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low; tread down the wicked in their place. 13 Hide them in the dust together, bind their faces in hidden darkness. 14 Then I will also confess to you that your own right hand can save you."  Did you catch that?  God said, "Job, if you are able to humble the proud, you are able to save yourself."  Obviously Job was unable to save himself from his horrendous circumstances because there he sat in pain:  crying out to God in agony, scraping his diseased skin with a potsherd, lamenting the loss of his children, and arguing with his so-called friends.  Job knew without the favour of God he was doomed forever, and that is why he offered sacrifices not only for himself but for his children too.  God's words make it crystal clear:  the one who is able to humble the proud is also able to save himself.

Speaking for myself, I (like Job!) cannot save myself from sin, death, or hell.  Based on God's Word since I cannot save myself I obviously cannot humble the proud.  No amount of public humiliation or snide comments directed at me or towards others can accomplish this.  All human beings face the challenge of dealing with self:  selfishness, preoccupation with self, self-pity, and self-exaltation.  Only by being born again through faith in Jesus can we truly have victory over self and live in the way which pleases God.  If I can't save myself, I shouldn't take it upon myself to humble others.  I am called to humble myself, and with God's help I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)