07 July 2016

Be Fully Convinced

During my recent visit to the United States, I had the opportunity to meet with family, friends, and speak at churches concerning my family's move to Australia.  I was able to meet with friends I have had since high school and reflected on my Australian adventure from the very beginning.  It is a story I do not tell very often since we are now dual-citizens and the tale is a rather involved one which began over a decade ago.  It was good to testify of God's faithfulness of His word to me, and I personally identify with the truth of Joshua 21:45 which reads, "Not a word failed of any good thing which the LORD had spoken to the house of Israel. All came to pass."  This is true for the house of Israel and true for me too.  I hope through the story God has written in my life others are encouraged to take steps of faith in obedience to God as Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Joshua did.

One of the great benefits of a walk of faith in God is how the Bible becomes much more personal.  When I resigned from my position at a church and went to Australia for a two-month trip, I felt a bit like Abraham who left his country but had no idea where he was going.  I had no clue how God was going to establish me in Australia, but He did.  Seeing God provide for Abraham and his family in the Bible supplies confidence God will provide for all my needs as well.  God promised Abraham things which didn't just seem improbable but were impossible, yet in His time God fulfilled His Word.  Romans 4:20-21 says of Abraham, "He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform."  Abraham did not waver, despite obvious impossibilities.  God waited until Abraham and his barren wife Sarah were old before He made good on His promise to give them a son.

The world says, "I'll believe it when I see it," but Christians are called to believe it because God has said it.  God created the entire universe by His spoken word, and the power which raised Jesus Christ from the dead is the same power which resides in God's people.  This is miraculous, transformational power.  Instead of wavering at the promise of God through unbelief, we too need to be strengthened in faith.  Perhaps God has made promises to you beyond the written Word of God you have yet to see fulfilled and it seems impossible.  Are you convinced what God has promised He is also able to perform - not in a theoretical sense for all people - but for you personally?  We have the same tendency of Abraham of expending great effort wondering how God is going to make good on His promises or even try to help Him out.  God does not need our help.  But He does require our unwavering faith.  Genuine belief enables us to give glory to God despite apparent delays and to keep trusting Him.

Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness.  When doubt creeps in, let us examine ourselves and ensure we are fully convinced in what God has said and He will perform it.  God invites us to dialogue with Him and be casting our cares upon Him, knowing He cares for us.  We can have complete confidence God will not cast us off because of our weakness or even our mistakes, for He is gracious and good.  Like a loving father which holds his tottering child by the hands, so God lifts us up and enables us to place one unsteady foot before the other.  This brings a smile to His face when we walk towards Him, our eyes bright with joy despite our difficulties.  What He has promised we are not able to perform, but He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)