20 July 2016

Loving the Law at Midnight

Have you ever suffered from insomnia?  It's lousy to feel exhausted and at the same time being unable to fall asleep in bed.  I had one of those nights recently.  I fell asleep almost immediately after prayer, but then I woke up in the middle of the night and trying to go back to sleep seemed a complete waste of effort and time.  I have a comfortable bed but there seemed no way to find comfort.  Ultimately I did drift off but not before hours were spent shifting from side to side without sleep.

During last night's evening reading of Psalm 119 I came across a passage which grabbed my attention in verse 62:  "At midnight I will rise to give thanks to You, because of Your righteous judgments."  The Psalmist was not afflicted by insomnia but intentionally rose at midnight to thank and praise God for His righteous judgments.  Now when was the last time any of us did this?  Few if any think there would be value in setting an alarm to rise at midnight to thank God for anything!  A casual reading of this chapter reveals the writer of this Psalm deeply loved God and things which are quite out of fashion for most today:  God's law, precepts, judgments, statutes, and testimonies.  Psalm 119, the longest single chapter in the Bible, is completely given over to praising God for His judgments and professing delight in His law.  I wonder if we love God's Law like this, to thank God with such profusion day and night?  I suppose my tossing and turning without rising to thank God suggests I don't love as I should.

Here is just a small sampling from this amazing chapter:
  • "I hate the double-minded, but I love Your law." (Psalm 119:113)
  • "Therefore I love Your commandments more than gold, yes, than fine gold!" (Psalm 119:127)
  • "I opened my mouth and panted, for I longed for Your commandments." (Psalm 119:131)
  • "I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure." (Psalm 119:162)
  • "My soul keeps Your testimonies, and I love them exceedingly." (Psalm 119:167)
Jesus did not come to destroy the Law but to fulfill it.  That means He completed it, finished it.  No longer are born again Christians under the yoke of the letter of the Law Jesus has lifted.  As yoke-fellows of Jesus we are to love one another as He loves us and thus we too can fulfill God's Law.  This is something God calls us to do.  I read just this morning in Romans 13:8-10, "Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."  We have received Christ's righteousness by faith and our entire lives are in debt of God's grace, mercy, and love.  We owe love to others, for in loving others we will obey Christ's commands when He said, "It has been written...but I say unto you."  There are many "one another" commands in the New Testament, and not one of them can be performed in isolation.  The greatest of Christ's commands is found in John 13:34:  "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another."

If we love Jesus, we will keep His commandments.  You who claim to love Christ, do you obey Him?  Do you love His commandments as an extension of Himself, having sprung from His righteous character, goodness, and grace?  If the Psalmist saw fit to rise at midnight with the express purpose to thank God for His Law, so should we.  Here is a biblical approach for insomnia:  embrace being alive and rejoice to offer God a sacrifice of praise.  Forget sleeping!  Do you rejoice at God's Word and pant for Christ's commandments at midnight?  Love is the law of Christ's kingdom.  It is written of Jesus in John 1:16-17, "And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."  Jesus did for us internally what the Law of Moses could not do externally.  Faith in Jesus makes us new creations through whom His love flows to this world and brings light into the darkness.  Let us rise day and night to thank God for His goodness and grace unto men!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)