01 September 2016

The SpongeBob Lesson

During scripture class recently I asked a year six boy, "If you could ask for anything in the world, what would it be?"  His eyes looked up at the ceiling as he grinned, thinking it over.  "I know what I would ask for," he said almost bashfully.  "Well, what would it be?"  He replied, "It's about someone who is yellow and square."  "Oh?  Would that be SpongeBob SquarePants!"  "Yes!" he gleefully shouted.  "The SpongeBob SquarePants movie!"  Later I thought to myself the boy had set the bar ridiculously low.  He was given the freedom to ask for anything in the world but chose a DVD.  Imagine being able to supply someone's ultimate dream for $20!

Do you know God once asked Solomon a similar question in 1 Kings 3:5?  In a dream God said to Solomon, "Ask!  What shall I give you?"  God did not include the caveat "up to half of my kingdom" typical of royalty.  Our answer to the question depends on who is asking and what is reasonable.  If my grandmother Gammy had asked me this, I knew she had many children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  She didn't have an endless supply of resources so a DVD might have been appropriate.  But God's wealth is not spread thin!  There's nothing He cannot give!  Because God is the Creator of everything and all is subject to Him, He could have given Solomon anything he asked for.  Solomon asked for wisdom to rule God's people, and God gave him that and much more besides.

As I thought about the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie answer, I was convicted when the LORD spoke to my heart.  It occurred to me God has everything and yet many of my prayers and requests aim very low.  Before a God who desires to do the impossible and be extravagantly powerful, generous, and gracious to His people, my requests are the equivalent of asking for a DVD.  I sometimes ask for things God has already promised to be doing or for things He has already given!  As children of God through faith in Christ we have complete access to our Father in heaven whose great pleasure is to give us the kingdom, yet we fix our desire on insignificant things.  I imagine for that lad SpongeBob won't seem so wonderful years from now.  How about asking God for things only He can give and do?  Why not ask for the impossible?  We can be silly and shortsighted with lame requests when God offers us His presence, power, and wisdom.  Can you imagine God offering us Himself, forgiveness, and grace and we sigh because it wasn't the DVD equivalent we had our heart set on?  God's wants our hearts set on Him and He is worthy!

How cool is that?  God is so amazing He can use even a SpongeBob DVD to teach valuable life lessons of eternal value!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)