05 October 2016

A Christian Perspective

Being a Christian goes far beyond biblical morality or a belief system:  it is a spiritual transformation brought about by the living God inhabiting a person who trusts in Him.  Exposure to the Word of God, partnership with other believers in the church, and walking in obedience to God lead to spiritual maturity and growth.  This relationship with God ought to have an impact on every aspect of our lives, how we view the world, and influence our interactions with others.  After being born again through faith in Jesus we continue living in a corruptible and mortal body of flesh, yet we can become more like Jesus in how we think and live.  Our new King, future heavenly country, and growing relationship with God forever alters our perspective for good.

As God opens our eyes to the truth of His Word and we grow in faith with obedience, the reality of our identity in Christ begins to slowly take hold in our lives.  Daily interactions, physical pain, conflict, failure, and apparent success - everything really - is filtered through this new consciousness.  There are more ways than I can count how a relationship with God has forever changed my life for the better.  Here are just a handful of truths which have encouraged me as a Christian:
  • This life is not all there is.  I am a dual citizen on earth, but as a Christian I am a citizen of heaven where I will live forever with my Saviour, Jesus Christ.  Death for me is not so much my end as a new beginning of eternal glory.  Even as an infant grows in his mother's womb, this life is preparing me for a glorious future in the presence of God.
  • God is in control.  As Creator of this world, God has the power to accomplish everything He has promised.  I don't need to be afraid even when circumstances are difficult, because I know God works all things for good in my life.  God can do the impossible!
  • God's work doesn't depend upon me.  God doesn't need me, but He invites me to serve Him.  In my flesh I am only a hindrance to God, but as I am led by the Spirit God graciously works in and through my life.  The God who created the complex systems within my body to work together has assembled the church with Christ as the Head.  He will see His work done!
  • Life is more than stuff.  Jesus said life does not consist in the amount of things I possess.  Jesus Himself is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  Since I have Jesus I have all things and abound, for everything I have accumulated on this earth will be left for another.
  • God hears and answers prayers.  If we respond to the requests of our children, won't God respond to the prayers of His beloved children?  The One who created ears can hear, and the One who created mouths can surely speak.  The God who confounded languages at Babel can understand the desires of our hearts and can supply our needs.  He bids us come boldly into His throne room at all times to seek mercy and help in time of need.
  • Here today, gone tomorrow.  Life is short, so let us be about God's business.  During the day we ought to work, for night is coming when no one can work.  Make the most of the time you have with other people, for they might be leaving your fellowship or departing this world sooner than you thought.  Our life is like the grass which flourishes one day and is dry the next.
  • Rest is found in Jesus alone.  Relaxation doesn't remove our responsibilities, and even long holidays come to an end.  In Christ we find rest for our souls and our weary minds.  Jesus can remove our burdens of sin, preoccupation, procrastination, and self-focus.  Jesus gives us peace nothing in this world can take away.
  • My King is rich.  It is God's pleasure to give His children His kingdom, and what a bountiful kingdom it is!  It is rich in beauty and grace which is beyond price, love which will last for eternity, and great in mercy and power.  God has all things, and in Him all things consist.
  • God is worthy to be praised.  Nothing on this planet is worthy of worship, but the God who created all things is worthy to be praised.  I do not praise Him only because of all He has done but who He is.  He is to be admired and I am in awe of His wisdom and ways.
  • The Bible is truly God's Word.  The Bible is true and is food for the soul.  It is a guide which leads us to God and provides a godly perspective on people and all God has made.  It illuminates the ways of living and thinking which please God, explains the way of salvation through the Gospel, corrects, instructs, and encourages with great promises.
  • God loves me.  Amazing, that such a God and Saviour would love me!  God has shown compassion and been gracious to me despite my faults and failings.  He has called out to me kindly when I was His enemy, and has adopted me as His own child.  How great is God's love for me, for God demonstrated His love by dying for my sins on a cross.
For the sake of time I did not include biblical references for all these points, but they are saturated with scripture!  Praise the LORD for His goodness and His grace unto men!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)