30 August 2016

Sorry School House Rock!

When I was a kid, there was a popular educational program called "School House Rock" which used the slogan, "Knowledge is Power!"  School House Rock helped me to memorise the Preamble in my year 8 History class taught by Mr. Kennedy.  I even had a retro School House Rock t-shirt when I was in high school!  But as educational and useful as the program was, after assessing the slogan biblically I must confess the slogan "Knowledge is Power!" is untrue.  Whilst knowledge is beneficial when used wisely, it has no power in itself to accomplish anything.  Education alone does not have the power to cure any ills.  Being able to recite the Preamble in no way supplies power to live in the way the forefathers of the United States intended.

Knowledge is a useful means, but not an end.  God lamented His people perished for a lack of knowledge.  He had the power to save and deliver them, but they continued to ignore His Law and live as was right in their own eyes.  Yet God's people also exposed the pitfalls of knowledge which led to pride and self-righteousness.  The Jews made the knowledge of God's Law and putting it into practice according to tradition the end instead of realising the Law was given so people might have fellowship with God.  Paul wrote in the second part of 1 Corinthians 8:1, "We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies."  We have all been given the knowledge of good and evil, but knowledge of good does not supply us the power to always do good.  Knowledge could never make a man be good.

This fact is plainly demonstrated in many aspects of life.  I may be able to read and understand a recipe which tells me the ingredients in measure, the heat of the oven, and the proper order to  mix the batter.  But this knowledge does not mean I will choose to follow it, nor does it mean my best efforts will result in a good outcome!  I may know the rules of baseball, but that does not mean I am physically able to play it.  I might know what shot to play in cricket when a bouncer comes at my head, but that doesn't mean I can execute the shot.  I may know how to read and write and do advanced maths, but it does not mean I will be admitted into my preferred university or obtain the job I desire.  Sorry School House Rock, but knowledge is not power.  Knowledge is incapable to supply the power necessary to accomplish anything or see it properly applied to my life.

The power of knowledge in itself is a mirage, but there is true power in Jesus Christ demonstrated by His resurrection from the dead.  The knowledge that a man has three weeks to live will not prolong his life or change the doctor's diagnosis.  But there is power in the Gospel to save souls and transform hearts and minds.  Knowledge of the Gospel is the path to the power of God received by faith in Jesus.  As it is written in 2 Timothy 1:6-10, "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,"  Paul reminded Timothy of what he had received through the Gospel:  a spiritual gift and vitality, a spirit of power, love, and of a sound mind.  Jesus has abolished death for all who repent and trust in Him, and has brought life and immortality to light by the Gospel - critical knowledge indeed!

It is God who saves, not knowledge.  Knowledge is very important and involved in salvation, don't get me wrong:  but knowledge in itself has no power to do, save, or redeem.  It is Christ who justifies, not our knowledge of Christ or understanding of the doctrine of justification.  Knowledge of God according to the Bible leads to unending and infinite power through Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)