11 June 2015

Jehovah Nakah: The God Who Strikes

Over coffee this morning a brother shared a wonderful truth out of the Bible.  God has revealed His righteous character through various names, like "Jehovah Jireh" ("the LORD will provide" in Genesis 22:14), "Jehovah Shalom" ("the LORD is peace" in Judges 6:24), "Jehovah Nissi" ("the LORD my banner" in Exodus 17:15), and "Jehovah Rapha" (the LORD who heals" in Exodus 15:26 ).  People named altars and even a city after attributes of God which provide glimpses into details of His awesome and magnificent ways.  My friend turned to Ezekiel 7:9 which reads, "My eye will not spare, nor will I have pity; I will repay you according to your ways,and your abominations will be in your midst. Then you shall know that I am the LORD who strikes."  "Jehovah Nakah" - the LORD who strikes or kills - is probably not the first name of God people frame on the wall or include in lists on their bookmarks.

The point my mate made was the same word used for "strike" is used concerning the Messiah mentioned in Isaiah 53:4:  "Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted."  God is the God who smites, yet He is also the God who was smitten and killed for the sins of the world.  God is not willing that any should perish, but God still sent Jesus Christ - His only Son - to die so those who repent and trust Him can be partakers of His everlasting life.  God said in Deuteronomy 32:39, "Now see that I, even I, am He, and there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; nor is there any who can deliver from My hand."  Do you see the divine order?  God wounds our pride to heal with grace; He was willing to kill His own Son so we might share in His life.  It is through dying to self we are raised to newness of life with Christ.  Jesus Christ took the punishment sinners deserved upon Himself, so we might be made righteous through faith.

What comfort there is in knowing Jehovah Nakah!  He kills but makes alive.  He strikes with heavy blows, but provides restoration, wholeness, and eternal life for all who trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)