23 August 2016

Finish Your Race

I ran cross country for three years during high school, and there was only one race I began I didn't finish.  It was my first competitive race in year 9, an invitational (basically a tune-up race) which looped around Lindo Lake in Lakeside, California.  About a mile in I rolled my ankle pretty good, and I wasn't interested to hobble the rest of the course.  What was the point?  Admittedly at that time I was quite out of contention for what I imagined to be a respectable finish, so I sheepishly limped back to my team's area.  It never set well with me that I quit.  In reality I could have pushed on, but the shame of quitting on that day seemed less than finishing last.  Because it was me, I can say plainly it was selfish pride - not a bum ankle - which truly kept me from finishing that day.

Whenever I see the courageous finishes of many of the Olympic athletes in Rio, I admire the drive and tenacity to finish no matter what.  Finishing - not placement - is of fundamental importance.  If a runner or swimmer does not finish, it would be impossible to place.  Seeing athletes limp in pain on torn ligaments, determined to complete the race no matter the cost, reminds me of my own failure and makes me resolved to never again repeat it.  Our bodies have physical limits, and it is brave and courageous to endure difficulty to reach the end regardless if we are proud of our time or not.  Pride can keep a man going or be the very reason why he quits.

Just this week I heard a message by Joe Focht from Calvary Chapel Philly and he referenced a marathoner named John Stephen Akhwari of Tansania.  He ran the marathon in the 1968 Olympics hosted by Mexico and he was the last to finish - though there were 17 who were physically unable because of the heat.  During the race Akhwari fell and badly injured his knee but he kept on going.  Asked why he bothered to finish the race when he was so far behind the leaders, in so many words he said his country hadn't sent him across the world to start a race, but to finish it.  This was not mere sentiment for the man, but demonstrated by someone who walked and jogged miles terribly damaged to fulfill them.  Even when the medical staff encouraged him to bow out, he was out to finish.  And he did.

For people of Christian faith, we realise God has stretched before each of us the remainder of our lives on earth like a marathon course before a runner.  We are all called by God to run our own race and persevere in faith and love in tough times, even when taking a single step is excruciating.  Unlike a competitive runner who is disqualified when assisted by a spectator, we are helped and ministered to by the Holy Spirit and Jesus who lifts us up and strengthens us to diligently persevere.  Hebrews 12:1-3 says, "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls."  Perhaps you have noticed that in this race of life many bystanders are not urging us to continue or cheering us on.  They scorn and mock those who follow Jesus, hurling insults.  The enemy of our soul whispers to us, "Go ahead and quit.  You're not making progress anyway.  What's the point of finishing when you're not as good as others?"  There are times our own bodies beg us to quit, seemingly desperate to give up because it is all too hard.

Who will you listen to, believer?  Are you determined to finish the race with joy God has set before you?  You can!  Though very few of us could be termed "world-class" competitors, we can all know the feeling of crossing the finish line a winner by the grace of the God and the power of the Holy Spirit.  We don't need to cast furtive glances over our shoulder to see if anyone will catch us, but with our eyes on Jesus we can push hard to the finish line with a strong kick.  Don't ever quit loving God and others, Christian.  Keep running your race for God's glory and see it through to the end.  Let's run in God's winning way.  It will be hard, and it will hurt.  But God will help and heal us.  He has promised to provide strength so we can run without being weary and walk without fainting.  Would to God all His people could say along with Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."  Praise God we can experience the same victory too by His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)