18 February 2011

Mark Peters, My Friend

Yesterday I received word that one of my friends and co-laborers at Calvary Chapel El Cajon has passed into eternity:  Mark Peters.  His time of difficulty has passed, having recently been diagnosed with cancer. Having been born again by the power of the Holy Spirit through faith in Christ, Mark undoubtedly now rejoices in heaven.  My grief is great, not because Mark has gone home but that I was unable to visit him as he lay dying.  I will not be able to attend a service to memorialize his life.  Though God is a present help and comfort to me, presenting a tangible testimony of my thoughts of Mark in the presence of his family and friends is unobtainable.

Hence the impetus for this post:  let me tell you a little about my friend Mark.  The thing which struck you immediately about Mark is that he was real.  His faith and love for God was real.  He had not had an easy life by any means - there had been many struggles along the way, but God brought him safely through.  His enjoyment and willingness to serve God was not a contrived ploy to find favor with men or God.  There are certain "decorum" guidelines set for the ushers at the church, but I don't know that Mark heeded them!  He would sing with gusto and raise his hands to God in praise.  Every Sunday he was there, holding his cup of 7/11 coffee, greeting people, having loud conversations, moving chairs.  He was a Roman Guard annually at our Easter outreach.  I'm pretty sure Mark has helped set up for every Easter sunrise service I can remember...we'll miss his helpful hands.

A lather by trade, a man well-acquainted with dirt-bikes who listened to Third Day, a fixture greeting people at the door with coffee and bulletins in hand, a man who came with his son Richard to Men's Retreats...but this is only scratching the surface of who Mark is.  I say who Mark "is," because Mark has not ceased to be.  His body has ceased to function, but his soul lives on in the presence of Christ his King.  He is clothed not only with Christ's robe of righteousness, but a glorified body with which to serve God forever.  I can hear his voice rising strong and clear over hosts of angels, tirelessly praising the God who has graciously granted him eternal life.

The days of coffee, lath, and plaster are finished - but eternal day has dawned for Mark.  Gone are the days of sickness and pain, arrived is the age of complete freedom from sin and earthly limitations.  Sing Mark, jump for joy!  You have entered into the joy of the LORD, where there is no darkness forever and ever.

Do you know this hope of eternal life is offered to you as well?  Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Mark confessed his sin, and asked Christ to forgive him.  John 3:16-17 reads, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."

1 comment:

  1. This is sad news indeed!
    Mark was and is a great guy. I enjoyed the many discussions I had with him and his enthusiastic banter about life and the Lord. He will be missed, but I take comfort in knowing that his heartfelt rejoicing is made complete in the presence of Christ.

    ReplyDelete

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)