21 April 2015

The Power of Parables

"All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: "I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world."
Matthew 13:34-35

When Jesus spoke in parables it was to reveal, not conceal.  To the unbelieving and careless the words of Jesus were little more than stories, but to those who trusted in Jesus His parables revealed deep spiritual truths unknown from the beginning.  They have continued to remain an unceasing sources of truths both old and new to this day.  The same thing can be said of the Bible.  Unbelievers without spiritual discernment mock and scorn as they pick it apart, but those who rely upon God find sustenance and balm for their souls.

It's amazing how God opens the eyes of believers to discover deep truth in simple things.  As I prepared for teaching scripture yesterday, I used a couple of strange household items to teach about faith:  an eraser (rubber) and a tube of anti-fungal cream.  Now what spiritual truth could possibly be seen in those things?  The LORD helped me with those items to illustrate the object of our faith matters.  All people demonstrate faith based upon their beliefs:  atheists, agnostics, cults, and Christians alike.  Much of the faith exercised in the world is misplaced in all sorts of false guides and supports.  It is not if you have faith but where your faith is placed that matters.

If I placed my faith in a rubber to remove fungus from the skin between my toes, it would be misplaced faith.  I could rub my skin until it bleeds, but it will do nothing to solve my problem.  I could carry that eraser around in my pocket as a talisman or believe with all my heart it can help me, but it remains powerless to supply the cure I desire.  Yet if I believe the anti-fungal cream will alleviate my condition and follow the directions, I place my faith in something designed to deal with my problem.  Putting my faith in the cream leads to action on my part which in time will lead to restoration of clear skin.  The spiritual connection is we can place our faith in things powerless to help us, where faith in Jesus is the only Way to forgiveness, peace, and eternal life.  You can fight against the example if you want, but those with open ears and willing hearts understand the truth I have spoken.  The Holy Spirit will apply this truth to softened hearts individually and personally.

Illustrations have unique power to illuminate, like glass windows allow light into a room.  Whilst object lessons are useful, it is good to recognise their limits.  My point in using this example was to show how it is possible and even foolish to place our faith in things which have no power to help or save us.  The scriptures have been provided to reveal God to man He created in His own image.  The Bible is God-breathed, having been inspired by the Holy Spirit, and is compared to a light which illuminates our steps so we will not veer from the course of God's highway of holiness.  People in the shadows can laugh and mock all they want, but we Christians know where we are going and how we are going to arrive safely to our final destination in heaven.  Have you placed your faith in what is able to forgive, deliver, and save you?  He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)