17 May 2015

Up to the Task?

Many are duped into thinking if God has called them to something, they will feel confident or up to the task.  This is not the case.  In our service of God He always makes an allowance for faith in Him.  If we felt confidence in ourselves to accomplish anything for God, we will ultimately fail because without Him we can do nothing.  The truth is, feelings of inadequacy and helplessness facing what we believe God has called us to do puts us in great company.  We are not sufficient, but we can do all things through Jesus who strengthens us.

This came to mind when reading Jeremiah 1:4-7:  "Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." 6 Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." 7 But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, 'I am a youth,' for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak."  God formed the prophet Jeremiah for a specific role and calling, yet Jeremiah did not feel up to the task.  "I cannot speak," Jeremiah said.  "I'm too young!"  God gently rebuked Jeremiah, reminding him in God's power he was the man for the job.  Jeremiah trusted in God and His Word, and faced unspeakable trials and difficulties in answering God's call.  Bless the LORD, for He caused Jeremiah to endure faithfully.

How about Moses?  When God called out to Moses from the burning bush in Exodus 3, he had many reservations.  Exodus 4:1 says, "Then Moses answered and said, "But suppose they will not believe me or listen to my voice; suppose they say, 'The LORD has not appeared to you.' "  Moses was around 80 years old, but he was concerned about what other people would think.  He doubted anyone would listen to him.  God provided three miraculous signs Moses could do to prove he indeed spoke on the authority of the Most High.  One might think the ability to perform miracles would provide a level of confidence, but that was not enough.  Exodus 4:10 reads, "Then Moses said to the LORD, "O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue."  Moses cited his perceived poor speaking ability as a reason why he was not the man to deliver Israel, why he should not answer God's call.  Yet God persisted, and Moses ended up serving God in a unique and powerful way.

Gideon was a man called as a judge and deliverer of Israel who denied he was fit to lead.  Judges 6:14-16 says, "Then the LORD turned to him and said, "Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?" 15 So he said to Him, "O my Lord, how can I save Israel? Indeed my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house." 16 And the LORD said to him, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat the Midianites as one man."  Gideon could not see how God would use him.  He pointed to the weakness of his family and that he was not respected even in his own house.  Yet God saw Gideon as a mighty man of valour because He had sent Him and would be with him.  Step by step Gideon followed God's commands in faith, and God used Gideon to bring deliverance and salvation.

Have you asked God what He has formed and sanctified you to do?  Has He put words in your mouth to tell others you fear will not listen?  Do you see yourself as pathetic and unable to do what God has commanded you to do?  Praise the LORD, for He has ordained and sanctified you for a role in the Body of Christ to bring Him glory and honour.  Instead of waiting endlessly for feelings of self-confidence (that will not come, or if they do will be powerless to accomplish anything for God's glory), choose instead to trust and obey God's Word.  Take one step of faith and trust He will be with you.  He will lead and guide you every step of the way.  We can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)