30 September 2015

Hot Showers and Creaky Knees

How easy it is to take things for granted!  Often it takes lack or denial of what we are accustomed to  before we recognise with gratefulness the gifts God has graciously supplied.

About 10 years ago I went on a trip to Israel and stayed in the Mugraby hostel in Tel Aviv.  It was a clean, affordable option close to the beach.  The only downside was in chilly November our group returned to the hostel late at night.  The toilet and shower facilities were shared between several rooms on a single floor.  By the time I was ready for a shower before bed, all the hot water had been used.  Let me tell you, I was surprised the water flowed from the shower head at that temperature!  Surely it was spitting sharp icicles, not water!  Ever since that experience, I have always been so thankful for hot showers.  I have had some cold showers since, but I thank the LORD the water is not always so cold.

Have you ever thanked God for your knees?  I hadn't - until I fully ruptured my ACL and needed surgery.  I can't recall ever thanking God specifically for my knees until I endured the pain of recovery and physical therapy.  Now that I am walking normally, can kneel when necessary, am able to golf and play baseball, I am not sour over minor swelling, tightness, and pain which will be likely part of my life for the duration.  I am so grateful to God that He has seen fit to heal me and enable me to do things I enjoy.  It took a major injury for me to understand sport and physical activities I have always been able to do are not a permanent fixture.  My knees are a gift God has provided me for this season of my life, and when God moves me into another season where sport is not possible I will still have Him, the Giver of abundant life.

I encourage you to thank God for something today you use all the time without thought but have never specifically thanked Him for.  You will discover quickly there is much more to thank God for than there are seconds in the day.  Every one of your trillion cells in your body cry out with thanksgiving to God.  All of eternity will not be enough time to praise and thank God enough for who He is and all He has done.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  Thank God for making His will known to us, and let us seek to fulfill it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)