28 March 2019

Obedience in Faith

"The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2 "Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you to hear My words." 3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and there he was, making something at the wheel."
Jeremiah 18:1-3

God isn't into what I would call "efficiency," but He is big on obedience in faith.  Does it seem strange to you God didn't just tell what in the first place what He intended to say?  But this perspective might be borne out of our impatient and slothful mindset where convenience is king.  It was not a question of God knowing what to say, but obedience from Jeremiah the prophet was required to hear more.

I imagine we would be excited to tell others in light of Divine revelation, "God spoke to me!  He told me where to go!"  We would feel pretty special to hear from God, but for many people it ends right there.  God speaking is a key component of our relationship with Him, but we are then responsible to take action to do what He says.  In Jeremiah's case, rising and going to the potter's house was a key to hearing God's Words.  Jeremiah did not delay in obeying God's directive and went straight away.

As Jeremiah watched the potter throw clay on the wheel, God used the skilled hands of the potter to illustrate concerning God's power to shape the nation of Israel as He desired.  The point I am led to linger over is how important it is to hear and obey what God says.  I wonder how many times I missed out on the message God intended me to hear because I was not willing to rise up and in obedience go where He led me!  Now there are times I physically went to a specific location because I thought God wanted me to and I candidly say nothing happened.  But it is better to err on the side of faith by doing what we believe God to be telling us rather than allowing doubt to dictate.

How can I know God is speaking? some might ask.  I honestly don't know how God will speak to you, but I have no doubt the almighty God who created mouths to speak, ears to hear, minds to comprehend, and hearts to feel is perfectly capable to communicate with His individual subjects.  There is no need to complicate the matter, for God gave infants the ability to communicate with those who love them though they know not a word - and how He loves us.  I am grateful for God giving us the Bible where God speaks continually, and not on a pre-recorded loop because the Holy Spirit dwells in our hearts leading us into all truth.  The question is not "Does God speak?" but will we listen and obey because we trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)