25 January 2023

Pet Regrets

Travelling to my hometown brings back memories, and most of them are good.  It is enjoyable to visit with family and friends, reminiscing over what has happened in the past and catching up to the present.  As I was driving yesterday I was reminded of a conversation I had with someone years ago I have repented of many times.  I regretted something I said almost immediately, and it was a good lesson of how words hastily spoken cannot be taken back.

As I considered the situation that transpired decades ago, I was struck by how this could be termed a "pet regret."  It was something I have regretted and repented of who knows how many times, yet dwelling upon it leads me back to the familiar feelings of sorrow and wishing it could be undone.  I know based upon the word of God He forgives sin as it is written in 1 John 1:9:  "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  My transgression years ago need not hinder me from a close relationship with God today moving forward.  Regret over my sin can move me to pray for those victimised by it.  I need not beat myself up over how my transgression likely offended the person with whom I spoke, for God's grace is sufficient to turn even my folly into a blessing.

It occurred to me when it comes to pet regrets we can be more willing to wallow in regret over something that happened ages ago when there are plenty of sinful things we do and say today we ignore or may not even be aware of.  Pet regrets have a familiarity we may even like because there is nothing we can do about them.  If we feel bad over something that happened long ago and give place to condemning thoughts, it can become a well-rehearsed exercise in self-pity fueled by pride.  We are disappointed with ourselves; we cannot believe we ever did such a thing.  And thus we are blind to our own need to continue changing, to embrace our sanctification over our attitudes and outlook that remain foolish and proud as ever.

I have owned many pets over the course of my lifetime, and there came a point with all of them when I needed to say goodbye.  This is what we ought to do with our old pet regrets we have repented of and learned from.  We can lay them to rest and discover rest by the power of the Gospel.  Let us move on from perpetual guilt to thanksgiving and praise of God who has forgiven our sins and is able to make us a blessing in this world even at our worst.  For every pet regret we lament there are  doubtless other sinful habits and tendencies God would have us repent of right now and experience the rest and rejoicing made possible by God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)