17 April 2023

Noise and God's Voice

Today I had a little project of re-routing air conditioning ducts at church.  Over the years rooms have shifted around and the hope is consolidating some branch lines will provide more even temperatures throughout the building.  As I worked, I was listening to a baseball game on my phone I carried around in my pocket.  I grew up using a trusty transistor radio to catch the games during baseball season so it feels quite natural.

After I was done moving ceiling tiles around, I vacuumed the carpets.  While it was very easy to hear the phone speaker in a quiet office building, the noise of the vacuum deafened the audio completely.  If you had told me, I wouldn't have believed the app on the phone was still working.  But the second the vacuum was switched off, the voices could be clearly heard again.  It struck me how this was a good illustration of how the world is full of noise--whether it be voices from a phone or the mechanical drone of a vacuum.  We can be so accustomed to needing some sort of visual or audio input we can neglect our need to seek the LORD in silence to hear His still, small voice.

When we are awake in this modern day our focus can be on beat of the pumping music, engaging with sermons and podcasts, listening to the news, scrolling socials or locked into a video game.  All this constant input reveals our need to intentionally set time aside to seek the LORD.  God's grace was ironically shown that despite the noise of the loud vacuum that drowned out the baseball commentators and advertisements, God was able to cut through it all like nothing and speak to me.  God is able to bypass the ears and go straight to the heart.  There are people who have become used to needing music to sleep or have a noise machine to help them drift off.  With all the noise in our lives, insomnia may be our needed break from the hubbub when God has us as a captive audience.

Today God reminded me of my need to seek and listen to Him intentionally throughout the day, even as we turn on an app to listen to a game or go to the maintenance closet for a vacuum.  The God who created the tongue and communication through language speaks to us.  If it has been a while since you have heard from the LORD it is not His lack of speaking but our hardness of hearing.  Make some of your time quiet time with the intention of drawing near to God, praying, reading His word and thinking about what He has said and is saying.  Jesus said in John 10:27, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."  As we follow Christ, we ought to follow His example of praying, listening and obeying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)