27 July 2023

Somebody God Loves

"So it was, when they came, that he looked at Eliab and said, "Surely the LORD'S anointed is before Him." 7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."\
1 Samuel 16:6-7

When the prophet Samuel saw the eldest son of Jesse, based on his height and regal bearing he assumed Eliab was God's choice to be king over Israel.  God corrected Samuel's error of judgment, for the LORD God does not see as man does.  People can labour to carefully craft an attractive image to impress others that is not indicative of the corruption, deceit and pride tucked away in their own hearts.  Thankfully God sees the character and knows the thoughts of a person, and in His wisdom refuses those who walk in pride--even people who make the impression of being worthy of royalty.

The other day I had the opportunity to see judging by appearances play out firsthand.  I was taking care of some janitorial duties at church when a couple of women in business attire strode in to provide information about a local business with a new location in the area.  They asked if there was anyone they could speak about on the matter, and as I leaned on the mop handle I told them that would be me.  I listened to their brief spiel, received pamphlets from them, and told them my name upon request.  I must not have met their expectation of a person with an administrative and pastoral role in the fellowship, for they later sent an email to our administrator that said something like, "We dropped by today but there was no one there to speak to."  It sounds like they were a bit the prophet Samuel, for I was judged by my appearance to be a nobody.  The difference between them and Samuel is they were correct! :)

As I was judged by my appearance, I too can do the same.  Therefore I must be on my guard to not assume anything demeaning about those who venture into the church building, attend a service, in the shops or on the street.  I ought to see everyone as someone God loves and extend His love to them.  Though I do not share the office of John the Baptist as a prophet, I agree with his sentiment shared with his disciples concerning Jesus Christ:  "He must increase, but I must decrease."  I do not need to be someone of note to point people to Jesus.  But this will likely not happen if I do not say or do anything intentionally towards that end.  Disciples of Jesus are not made in isolation or silence but by joining together with others in loving fellowship by God's grace.  This requires more than "being available" but being proactive to live a life in pursuit of Jesus, encouraging and exhorting others to join with us to glorify and serve Him in obedience.

Questions we could consider in light of God's revelation to Samuel are:  when the LORD God looks upon my heart, what does He see?  Does He see someone who wants the preeminence?  Does He see someone who shies away from embracing the role He has called me to in the body of Christ?  Is there anything within us that would cause God to refuse to anoint us?  Am I someone who places more stock in our own appearance or the appearance of others that blinds us to God's perspective and insight?  Am I seeing people as God sees them or as a man sees?  Why?  The resurrected Jesus was thought by Mary at first to be the gardener, but when He said her name she saw Him for Who He was.  The Pharisees knew the disciples were unlearned Galileans, yet when they were bold in their witness for Jesus they realised they had been with Him.  Though we be nobodies in this world, by our love, words and deeds may everyone we encounter realise the Spirit of Christ is in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)