12 June 2016

Clean Those Gutters!

In Sydney the chill of winter is in the air.  The trees in my front yard have changed colours and been dropping in abundance.  During recent downpours there were times when I noticed the gutters overflowed.  After the storm was over, I could see from the ground how the storm had heaped golden and rusty leaves above the edge of the gutters.  So last weekend I grabbed a ladder, a bucket, and a garden shovel to clear the gutters.  This simple chore provided a useful object lesson from the LORD as well as free-flowing guttering.

I don't know about you, but when it comes to cleaning gutters I typically grab the big stuff and call it good.  But this time I decided a more thorough clean was warranted because it had been months since I had cleared them.  I found dry leaves on top and black, rotting leaves underneath.  Once the leaves have compacted into the gutter they act as a filter which traps sediment.  As I used my hands and the shovel to scrape out the leaves, I even found bugs in the filth.  Then I did something I never bothered to do before:  grab the hose and actually wash the mud away.  This allowed me to check the fall of the gutters and ensure optimum performance.

As I filled the gutters with water, I noticed a low spot which collected dirt.  I was surprised how much spraying it took to wash the mud away.  Then the LORD impressed something upon me.  When it comes to repentance, typically I (and I imagine others too) do the equivalent of grabbing a few handfuls of leaves out of the gutters of our minds and hearts and call it good.  We focus on what can be easily seen and don't bother to wash them down completely because hey, more leaves are going to fall, right?  Partial cleaning looks good from the ground, but the rotten leaves can still impede the flow of water and choke the downspout to a muddy trickle.  Rain which falls pure is quickly fouled, soaks the eaves, and leads to dry rot because it has not found the designed outlet.

In the life of a Christian, the pure rain is a picture of the Holy Spirit.  The gutter represents our hearts and minds.  The water which flows out the downspout is a picture of our words, deeds, attitude, and lifestyle.  The leaves and sediment are pollutants, sins which prevent the clean, unimpeded flow of the Holy Spirit through our lives.  Partial repentance hinders practical cleansing because the rotten leaves and sediment remains packed tight.  The lesson God showed me is it is not enough to deal with the symptoms of sin when we have not repented of the underlying sins in our hearts and minds.  Today can be the day of salvation and revival for us, but if we do not repent and have a complete clean our downpipe will remain a muddy trickle instead of a clean torrent of Living Water.

Psalm 24:3-5 reads, "Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? Or who may stand in His holy place? 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully. 5 He shall receive blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation."  The Holy Spirit floods our hearts when we are born again after we repent and trust in Jesus.  Because the leaves continue to fall we need to take the maintenance of our hearts and minds seriously.  The flow of the Spirit will show us where our hearts are out of alignment with God's Word and will.  Only those who have clean hands and a pure heart will receive all the blessings God has provided by His grace.  Those who have been washed with the blood of the Lamb should have sanctified lives which reflect His purity.  I have heard people say we need to "keep short accounts with God," and in a sense this means "Keep your gutters clean!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)