22 June 2016

Revival and All Your Need

When I first visited Australia in 2009, some I spoke to lamented there had never been a spiritual revival in Australia.  Since then I have seen that claim was in error.  In fact I am reading a book now by J. Edwin Orr which speaks of revival and the move of the Holy Spirit in New Zealand and Australia.  We cannot muster up revival from our best efforts any more than we can make gale-force winds blow by flapping our arms.  Yet there is a connection between revival and willing and receptive hearts which prayerfully seek the LORD.  There are certainly hindrances to revival and we must be willing to admit them and repent to receive God's blessing.  J. Edwin Orr wrote of his experiences with a reluctant congregation in New Zealand:
The way to revival was made very clear - prayer and removal of hindrances.  The main object of the address was to make possible the prayer:  "Lord, send a mighty revival to Wellington, but begin first in me."  But I felt that too many people gathered there wanted an easy revival.  Everywhere one finds that type of Christian who thinks that revival is dependent on the recitation of a hocus-pocus magic formula.  This type was in that meeting, and when the necessity of confession was set forth, pride forbade public renunciation of sin.  And so many, in spirit if not in deed, prayed:  "O Lord, send a revival, but begin in somebody else first and convince me that it is possible"  We went home rejoicing that some had the courage of their convictions to get right with God:  but we were equally conscious that the Holy Spirit had been deeply grieved at the hardness of heart of the majority.  The organisers were all right, I think, and I felt conscious of no hindrance in the messenger - responsibility lay with the people. (Orr, J. Edwin. All Your Need: 10,000 Miles of Miracle through Australia and New Zealand. London: Marshall, Morgan & Scott, 1936. Print. page 38) 
One common aspect of the revivals Orr spoke of had woven throughout them the seeking of the LORD in prayer and meetings, the public confession of secret sin, and the joyful praise of the LORD.  I desire not only to read about revival or in some vicarious manner rejoice in a work God did long ago, but to experience a move of God's Spirit today.  Like J. Edwin Orr said, I agree it is fitting I would fervently desire a personal revival in my own life instead of being content to see revival.  I am not content to be a "third wheel" when it comes to God.  I believe many Christians fit into the "third wheel" category.  They see others walking with Jesus and how they have heard and are led by God.  These "third wheel" Christians wistfully wish they too could know God in a deeper way but are unwilling to remove hindrances from their lives.  I am convinced of this:  if I can experience a closer relationship with God than I must.  I am not content to see others leaping ahead spiritually while I shuffle slowly back:  if I desire revival I must want it for myself and be willing to pay whatever price is required.  I must lay down my life as a living sacrifice before the Lamb of God without demand of a return.  I must humble myself.  I must pray and align myself with God's Word.

Are you interested in seeing revival or are you hungry for God to revive you?  We must all recognise we have resisted and grieved the Holy Spirit through our unbelief, idolatry, and rebellion.  We cannot pray for revival in our church, city, or nation if we are not willing to seek God ourselves.  It is time to seek the LORD and turn away His judgment through humble repentance.  Psalm 85:6-8 is fitting for us to pray ourselves:  "Will You not revive us again, that Your people may rejoice in You? 7  Show us Your mercy, LORD, and grant us Your salvation. 8  I will hear what God the LORD will speak, for He will speak peace to His people and to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly."  It is God's will to revive His people.  Don't be on the outside looking in when God brings revival.  Today is the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)