01 December 2009

Laying the Foundation

I've been reading a biography of Winston Churchill, an amazing man who understood the meaning of courage, duty, and adversity.  He led Great Britain through World War II and is among the greatest Prime Ministers ever.  When he was made Prime Minister of England, Winston Churchill said in his address to the House of Commons, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."  Churchill did not see himself as a great man, but a man who was destined by God to do great things.  There have been few modern leaders more influential to a nation than Winston Churchill.  We are short on true leaders these days.  There are few who are willing to use their blood, toil, tears, and sweat for the good of others and the glory of God.

I'm enjoying working with my hands again.  I wake up around 4:50am and brave the morning chill, arriving at my current job site at 6am.  I've been wrapping duct the last couple of days, some off a 10' ladder and a scissor lift.  The work itself is exactly as I remember it being, and in a way I feel like I never left.  I hadn't wrapped a duct in over seven years!  But as familiar as the trade is to me, there is something very different this time around.  I am not simply working to provide for my family or advance in a company.  I am a preacher/pastor, and now I am a preacher who insulates.  I am insulating because God opened a door to work, and all this is working towards a working visa in Australia.

This is the desire that God has put in my heart:  I offer my blood, toil, tears, and sweat for the glory of God in Australia.  In the words of Paul, I will gladly spend and be spent for the Australian people (2 Cor. 12:15).  I have not been invited by any to do this, but I have been called by God to do so.  Every day I affirm my commitment as I toil and sweat covered in fiberglass and dust for a higher purpose than just to fill my belly with food and provide shelter for my family.  The cuts on my hands and the soreness of my body is not for my own benefit, but for the glory of God.

After the LORD destroyed Jericho, Joshua 6:26 relates, "Then Joshua charged them at that time, saying, "Cursed be the man before the Lord who rises up and builds this city Jericho; he shall lay its foundation with his firstborn, and with his youngest he shall set up its gates."  Many years later, a man named Hiel rebuilt Jericho.  1 Kings 16:34 says, "In his days Hiel of Bethel built Jericho. He laid its foundation with Abiram his firstborn, and with his youngest son Segub he set up its gates, according to the word of the Lord, which He had spoken through Joshua the son of Nun."  Re-building Jericho came at a personal cost for Hiel, his oldest and youngest son.  In my situation this would be a grave cost indeed!

My prayer is that God would be gracious to allow me the privilege of laying a foundation of solid Bible teaching and faithful longevity in ministry in Australia.  No cost is too high in following Jesus Christ.  I am not perfect in my pursuit of Christ, but I want to be better.  How amazing that I could be a tool in the hand of The Master Craftsman, by whom all things have been created and sustained!  I am not worthy that He would place His hand upon me for any profit.  May Jesus Christ be glorified in Australia and to the ends of the earth!  Lay the foundation of Christ in Australia, Father, and use me as your mortar, brick, or trowel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)