28 July 2011

Church - Holy Spirit = Worthless

C.H. Spurgeon is quoted as saying, "If we do not have the Spirit of God, it were better to shut the churches, to nail up the doors, to put a black cross on them and say, "God, have mercy on us."  If you ministers have not the Spirit of God, you had better not preach and you people had better stay at home.  I think I speak not too strongly when I say that a church in the land without the Spirit of God is rather a curse than a blessing."  This quote came to my mind yesterday as I met to fellowship with a brother in Christ.  This is a strong statement, and it is a true one.

Unless we are led by the Spirit in our prayers and deeds, we do them in the power of our flesh.  If we are not led by the Spirit in our preaching, evangelistic efforts, conferences, and meetings, it would be better not to bother.  To suppose I can do work for God without God is pride and blasphemy.  Instead of allowing this admonition to be filled with the Spirit frighten us into inaction and despair, I believe the quote of Spurgeon was spoken to do the exact opposite:  stir up believers to desperately seek the empowerment of the Spirit to honor God in their lives and service.  There is no doubt in my mind this exhortation follows the same line of 2 Timothy 1:6-7: "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."  If our decisions are based upon the suggestions of a spirit of fear, it is not the Spirit which God has given.  God has given us the Holy Spirit as the seal of our redemption, a Spirit of power, love, and a sound mind.

It stands to reason I ought to examine myself, to see if I continually seek to be led by the Spirit and remain obedient to His promptings.  The leading of the Holy Spirit will always be in agreement with the written Word of God, the Bible.  Being led by the Spirit does not occur through the striving of my flesh, but the submission of my will to the directives of God.  2 Chronicles 7:14 contains a wonderful promise for those who by grace have this mind of Christ and walk in the Spirit:  "...if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."  I must be ruthless in renouncing sin and obeying God.  I must rely on Jesus Christ walking by faith, not by sight.

Walking in the Spirit does not mean "being mindful to avoid sin," for that is a bi-product of walking in the Spirit.  Galatians 5:16 teaches us, "I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." Meditate upon these scriptures and feed upon the LORD's faithfulness.  Romans 7:25-8:1 says, "I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. 1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."  Also consider Galatians 5:22-25:  "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."

Rejoice in the LORD always, again I say rejoice!  God has not left us helpless, comfortless, or powerless, but has granted us the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit.  Let us live accordingly!  May the joy of the LORD be our strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)