20 July 2011

Quote from D.L. Moody

When I was in the States, my folks bought me an Amazon Kindle which I have enjoyed very much.  Today I "kindled" The Overcoming Life by D.L. Moody.  It was not long before I read a memorable and valuable illustration I am happy to share:
A gentleman in India once got a tiger-cub, and tamed it so that it became a pet.  One day when it had grown up, it tasted blood, and the old tiger-nature flashed out, and it had to be killed.  So with the old nature in the believer.  It never dies, though it is subdues: and unless he is watchful and prayerful, it will gain the upper hand, and rush him into sin.  Someone has pointed out that "I" is the centre of S-I-N.  It is the medium through which Satan acts.
Our old nature is like that tiger in captivity.  We therefore must be vigilant to bring every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ.  As long as we walk this earth in these bodies, there is a potential for a great fall.  Quoting a pastor of mine, "You are only one bad decision away from a fall."  Praise God that He is a God who does not only prevent our falling but our stumbling as well!  Proverbs 3:21-26 reads, "My son, let them not depart from your eyes-- keep sound wisdom and discretion; 22 so they will be life to your soul and grace to your neck. 23 Then you will walk safely in your way, and your foot will not stumble. 24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet. 25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; 26 for the LORD will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught."  We are more than overcomers through Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)