13 September 2011

Does Life Matter?

The other day I picked up a biography on Heath Ledger, an Australian-born actor who made it big in Hollywood until his untimely demise at the age of 28.  My greatest interest in reading the book is learning about the man behind the masks.  As I read the book, however, I find that the author doesn't have insights into Mr. Ledger on a deep, personal level.  It is more of a chronology of events, a timeline sprinkled with quotes.  Heath's own words open a small window to his heart.

Heath had a unique perspective of the world and his place in it, as illustrated by this quote:  "I've always been very big on self-exploration and answering my own questions...I look up at the stars and go, 'There's no explanation for us to be here.'  When anything is blocking my head or there's worry in my life, I just - whoosh! - go sit on Mars or something and look back here at Earth.  All you see is this tiny speck; you don't see the fear, you don't see the pain, you don't see the movie industry, you don't see this interview, you don't see thought...It's just one solid speck.  Then nothing really matters, it just doesn't." (Heath Ledger, McShane, John Blake Publishing Ltd., 2008, pg. 67)

As I read that quote, the only word I can think to describe it is "tragic!"  It may be artistic from a worldly point of view, but the philosophy found within one's own heart is desperately lacking and often misleading.  When I look at the stars, I say just the opposite:  "There is a reason we are here."  It is impossible to maintain proper perspective in life apart from a relationship with the Creator and Giver of life:  Jesus Christ.  Jesus experienced first-hand the effects of sin man brought upon himself through rebellion against God.  He answered questions, shared the wisdom of God, cast out fear with perfect love, and experienced pain for us.  He knew what it was like to be hounded by the paparazzi of His day.  What God does matters, and the fact that He loves us makes all the difference.

I can't answer my own questions, but I'm thankful God answers..  I would have really loved to sit down with Heath and have a discussion about the development of his philosophy over the years.  I wouldn't speak to him in an attempt to prove him wrong or tell him the right way to live.  It would simply be to listen, to hear where he's coming from.  He believed there is no explanation behind why human beings walk this earth.  Yet for 28 years, Heath walked this earth and distinguished himself from others due to his skill in the art of acting.  He was very careful in choosing roles.  How can you say your roles or actions matter when in the big picture nothing matters?  My heart breaks for the guy.  The trip back and forth to Mars seems to have been tiring and unsatisfying.  Mars seemed more and more attractive as a permanent home over the camera flashes, money, fame, drugs, voyeurs, and realizing that his life was not his own:  he was a product that had an expiration date.  The man never came back from his last trip.  But Mars isn't where souls stay after their body dies.  I only know what the Bible says:  Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through Him.  He created Heath, knows Him, and I hope Heath knew Christ as LORD too.  Rest in peace, mate.

Life does matter.  We exist to glorify God, even as the stars which shine brightly in the heavens.  Psalm 19:1-3 reads, "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork. 2 Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard."  Whether you are are a star which shines in space or a movie star in Hollywood, our existence is intended to shine for the glory of God.  Let all we do be to this end.  Isaiah 55:6-9 says, "Seek the LORD while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. 8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." We matter to God, and pleasing Him should matter to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)