20 November 2011

God Gives More Grace

The church will only be the loving, vibrant, fruitful body God designed after we have laid hold of His grace.  If we think that the work of God depends on us, our talents, gifts, or aspirations, we will be impotent to step out in faith and obedience.  A common trap which ensnares Christians is to look at ourselves, consider what our gifts are, and then only seek to use those gifts.  Consequently our actions and lifestyle will only reflect what we perceive in ourselves.  This kind of insular thinking has the potential to paralyze us and limit what we are willing to do for God - consciously limiting what we consider to be a reasonable scope of work - and therefore limit His effectiveness to work in and through us.  But there is much beyond our perception that God wants to do!

If we agree that all gifts we have been given us by God's grace, let us consider another view.  Instead of looking at my gifts, deeming them worthy, and then offering them, how about I look to God?  Once my eyes are fixed upon Jesus Christ, I can ask God to open my eyes to see the needs all around me.  After He reveals the need, I ask God to grant me grace so God might meet that need through me for His glory.  If my focus is on my gifts, I will be forever waiting for the perfect opportunity to trust God to use them, rather than trusting God to give me in that instant the gifts in the moment of need.  All I have is from God anyway:  can't He do more in my life today than yesterday?  Or am I going to chain myself to the past, limit my faith, and deny the fact God can do exceedingly, abundantly beyond what I could ever ask or think?

We all know there are grave needs in the world.  There is no shortage of needs in our own neighborhoods.  But I will never know the needs of people until I get to know the people themselves.  What kind of doctor could make a correct prognosis and administer medication without knowing the patient, examining their medical history and symptoms, and communicating with them?  If you want to know the needs of your community, it starts with creating relationships one person at a time.  Pastors Matthew Barnett and Bill Wilson are perfect examples of men who immersed themselves in the lives of people and God has used them mightily to reach lost souls for Christ.  The church, made entirely of Christians, is hamstrung if all Christians only have relationships with Christians.  We must seek to interact with all people so the love of Christ might be revealed through tangible means.  That's what Jesus did and what He wants us to do.

Not every fellowship will grow to be as numerically large as the Dream Center in Los Angeles or Metro Ministries in New York, but the love of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit enables each church fellowship to be fruitful, effective, and a place where the miraculous is common.  After all, no church will ever be judged by God on account of the square footage of buildings, number of parishioners ministries, or buses, or how talented their musicians or singers are.  God is seeking people to love and trust Him.  He is looking for people to obey His leading and desires we would use all He has graciously given to bring souls to salvation, make disciples of all nations, and faithfully feed the flock of God.  God's eyes do not light up at our volume of service or sacrifice, but He rejoices over two mites thrown into His treasury out of a heart rejoicing in faith.  How we give matters most to Him.

Don't wait for someone else to lead.  Let us look to Christ and purpose in our hearts to follow Him and trust that He will supply all our needs.  He is able to accomplish what concerns us today.  Will God deprive us of what we need when we are about Christ's business?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)