24 April 2012

I Shall Not Want

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."
Psalm 23:1

How profound is this simple truth!  This immortal psalm was penned by King David, a man who knew God as a sheep knows his shepherd.  A good shepherd is faithful to meet all the needs of the sheep in his flock.  Because God was David's shepherd, he lacked no good thing.  That is not to say David's life was easy.  For many years David was homeless and in hiding, fleeing from the wrath of King Saul.  Yet whether David found himself in a cave or a palace, the Word of God remained true.

It is common for us to use the word "want" in relation to our desire.  That is not the meaning of the Hebrew word used here.  The Strong's Talking Greek and Hebrew Dictionary defines "haser" as "to lack; by implication to fail, want, lessen; be abated, bereave, decrease."  David is saying, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not lack.  I shall not fail.  I shall not be abated or bereaved."  This sentiment is confirmed many times in scripture.  He would later write in Psalm 34:10, "The young lions lack and suffer hunger; But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing."  How ironic is this!  Even young lions, with their sharp claws, teeth, and skills for hunting, still end up going hungry.  But those sheep of God's fold will lack nothing.  All our needs are met in our Saviour, Jesus Christ.

We see this lived out even in our day.  The prominent politicians, the powerful businessmen, the wealthy men and women of this age die empty and dissatisfied with all the world can offer.  No amount of fame, riches, or possessions enables a man to enter into rest.  The things a man pursues to fulfill himself end up being a mirage.  Like smoke, it ends up being without substance.  How people impale themselves upon their passions and pursuits!  What a price people pay to obtain what will only destroy them.  If a rock star lives to be 60, he has outlived most of his peers.  It is no secret that many lottery millionaires cite their winning the lottery as the worst day of their life - in retrospect.  Most people will not give up what strangles them.

One of the things people long for is love.  The Bible says the love of God "never fails."  David had experienced this love.  God was his shepherd, so he did not lack.  He goes on to write how God provides contentment, peace, and rest in Psalm 23:2:  "He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters."  He spoke of the healing, restorative work of God's grace and how God always directed him in the right way to live in Psalm 23:3:  "He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake."  David's Good Shepherd had removed all fear from him, because he remained continually in God's presence as evidenced in Psalm 23:4.  Those whom God loves He corrects.  "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."  Even his daily bread was supplied abundantly by God.  Psalm 23:5 reads, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over."  God even provided a future that no one could separate David from!  He was so convinced of this David concludes in Psalm 23:6:  "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

Can you say, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want?"  Is your current life lacking?  If this is the case, then we can know we have not been looking to our Good Shepherd Jesus Christ to supply our needs.  Jesus says in John 10:10-11, "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep."  It is very easy for even Christians to fall into the rut of dissatisfaction and covetousness.  Our wants increase while our needs for fellowship and guidance from God are neglected.  It is for this reason Paul writes in Colossians 3:1-4, "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory."

Because Christ is our life, we shall not want!  His love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)