01 April 2012

Jesus Must Be LORD

Reading is a critical part of the life of every Christian.  I am always concerned when a Christian tells me they are not fond of reading, seeing as God has provided His Word to us in written form!  As followers of Jesus Christ, we ought to be people "of the Book."  That being said, there are many profitable books written that give glory to God.  Books challenge the way we think and are an impetus to growth.  It is important that we read wisely, seeking to find material which lines up with the truth of scripture.  In my experience with Christian bookstores today, only a fraction of the books written fit this criteria.  From the Puritan era probably 90% of books are worth reading, and in the modern era 10% are worth reading.  In the last century there has been a rapid departure from the authority of God's Word.

Ever so often I am introduced to a book which makes me wonder, "Where has this book been all my life?"  I am in the middle of Alan Redpath's book, The Making of a Man of God.  Written in 1962 and reprinted in 1990, it has easily been catapulted into the top-five category at the moment.  The author masterfully crafts object lessons from the life of David into challenging applications concerning the life of discipleship in Christ.  Straightforward, powerful, and loving, this book is a great addition to the library of any disciple of Christ.  When you buy it, you might as well procure two so you will have one to perpetually lend!  Here is an especially potent excerpt from chapter 15 as Redpath explains the necessity to make Jesus Christ your King and Ruler of your life in truth (The Making of a Man of God, Redpath, pg. 176):
"Now then do it!"  Don't go on just wishing and resolving - may the Holy Spirit push you into decision.  There have been times in my life when quite frankly I have felt the Lord pushing me back to the wall.  It is as if He had got me in a corner, and I had to face the issue squarely.  I hope that now you are feeling the pressure of God's Spirit pushing you back in your seat so that you must face this issue of the kingship of Jesus Christ.
"Now then do it," for unless you do (and I don't say this to frighten you), your heart has only to miss about a half a dozen beats, and you will be in hell - with all your good intentions, with all your resolves, with all your professions of faith, with all your sound theology.  You who sought in times past to make Jesus King, you the child of Christian parents, the frequent attender at the house of God, the listener to the Word of God, the hearer of the gospel - all these privileges and benefits will be merely millstones around your neck in a lost eternity unless you make Him your King.
Couldn't have said it better myself, Mr. Redpath.  My desire is not only to agree with what has been written, but that Jesus would be in reality my LORD so He might be my Saviour.  I have never met someone who thought they would be the ones who say, "Lord! Lord!" to whom Jesus responds, "Depart from me!  I never knew you - you who practice iniquity!"  But I know that it could easily be me as well as any nominal believer - one who honours Christ in word but not in deed.  I know I have unknowingly met such people through my Christian walk.  Instead of judging one another, let us judge ourselves and follow Jesus faithfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)