15 July 2012

A Useful Tool

Tools are designed for specific purposes.  Pliers, for instance, are excellent for tying wire or holding a bolt steady.  A wrench or spanner is great for busting bolts, but useless for tying wire.  I have seen many good tools used and abused by improper use.  I have a nice 10" Crescent spanner (not as nice as it could be!) that will not open fully because of when I used it as a hammer!

Christians can be compared to tools in the hands of the Master Craftsman.  God could have designed things that at the moment of conversion people would be immediately whisked away into eternity.  But God has manifold purposes for allowing us to remain upon the earth:  to share the Gospel with others, to glorify God through good works, to disciple others, to further sanctify us in preparation for future service, and to encourage, strengthen, and edify the Body of Christ.  It is important for us in the Church to have the singular focus we see demonstrated in Jesus Christ and His followers.  Jesus came to seek and save the lost, having been sent to the "lost sheep" of Israel.  Paul recognised God had called him to bring the Gospel to the Gentiles that they too might come to faith in Christ and be saved.

Jesus always operated in the will of the Father, faithfully walking in obedience and submission to Him.  Sometimes I feel like a spanner that chucks itself into running machinery rather than tightening bolts!  I can forget God's purpose of why He has graciously left me here on earth.  I pray that my lapses of looking away from Christ grow less and less frequent!  Last night before bed, it was as if the LORD pulled back the veil from my eyes to see myself in light of His glory and it was disgusting what I saw.  But thanks be to God who can fashion these flawed vessels into instruments for His glory and use!  It is not amazing that God is able to use weak vessels, but that He chooses to.

So what's your purpose for living?  Are you working to fulfill God's call upon your life?  Everybody may be working for the weekend, but we ought to say in truth with Paul:  for me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  1 Corinthians 15:57-58 reads, "But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."  May it ever be so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)