02 August 2012

Hitting the Mark?

No matter how harshly we judges ourselves, I am confident we human beings are worse than our lowest estimation.  The best men may see themselves in the worst light, but we are not always at our best.  I am actually grateful for the amazing way the challenges of life draw out negative qualities and bring to the surface my obvious dearth of character.  When all is going according to plan, we might convince ourselves of our own goodness.  But what about when we are running late?  It is when I am running late all the slowest, most clueless drivers seems to abound.  Hmmm.  How about when you lose something?  Or when you pick the wrong queue again at the shops?  I can't even count the many times I had several queues to choose from and I chose the one with the sluggish trainee who has to call for price checks or assistance.  Because all the other lines seems to evaporate before they form, I would decide to change to another line, only to have the manager to be called to approve the purchase in front of me!  The people who were behind me in the previous line are now long gone while I stew there, believing that death itself could not be so miserable.

Even as the world is perfectly suited to support human, animal, and plant life, God has so arranged our lives to provide ample proof that we are sinners who desperately need a Saviour.  Time pressure, delays, sickness, pain, relationships, driving, waiting, and even shopping all combine together as a proving ground of our character.  I have come to the conclusion to which Paul arrived, that in my flesh no good things dwells.  Any praiseworthy or honorable traits which exist in me I only have received by the grace of God.  All the time God reveals areas of weakness in my life only His strength can bring victory.  Proverbs 20:6 says that most men will proclaim their own goodness, but Christians are not to be like most men.  Instead of taking the credit or the glory for any good work, we must extol and praise the name of Jesus as the source of any goodness found within us.

So the next time you are frustrated, lose your temper, or react harshly to your spouse or children, take heart.  God is gracious to allow us to fail so we might recognise our sin, apologise to those we have wronged, repent, and commit ourselves to God wholeheartedly again.  A small adjustment of the bow is the difference between hitting the target and missing it altogether, and small improvements in our attitudes and actions brings God more glory.  May we live a life that hits the mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)