15 August 2012

Joey Hockenberry, Loved By God

Funerals are bittersweet:  bitter because we are processing the loss of a loved one, but sweet to reflect on how people have impacted our lives for good.  The first funeral I officiated was for a man I never knew.  Our church was contacted by the coroner's office in San Diego and were asked if we could provide someone to perform the service.  I was on staff as a youth pastor at Calvary Chapel El Cajon at the time and had been recently ordained as a pastor.  It was through that phone call I was introduced to a young man known by his friends as Joey Hockenberry.

Joey was a man I wish I could have met.  A condition from birth prevented him from being able to speak.  Even at 30 years old he enjoyed simple pleasures, especially balloons.  He had an amazing smile.  His mother and sister loved Joey deeply, and his death was a tragic shock.  In a moment, this young man passed into eternity.  As I stood at the lectern at the funeral hall, the organist playing softly behind me, my heart broke for the grieving people who knew the young man.  This was a man who was greatly loved by people and the God who created him.  Though I never met Joey, I will never forget Him.  His life should be celebrated more than the mourning of his passing.  If I could meet Joey's mum and sister again, I would give them each a hug.  They shared the life of their dear son and brother that day, a gift I can never repay.

There are some people who might trivialise Joey's life because of an arbitrary level of physical or mental development.  I can tell you one thing for certain:  God doesn't.  God spoke to Moses in Exodus 4:11, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the LORD?  God made Joey Hockenberry.  He made him exactly as He intended to, and God does all things well.  Joey never lost the wonder of being young.  He laughed, he loved, he was human in every way.  What we see as a limitation in someone else is a revelation of our limitations.  God values human life to the point of sending His own Son as a sacrifice for sin.  God allowed His only Son, Jesus Christ, to face death on the cross so all might live.  Jesus died for Joey, me, and you.

God values life.  He is the one who gives eternal life!  Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  If you hate your life, it is because you love yourself more than Christ.  And when Christ becomes your life what freedom, peace, and joy is provided by His grace.  Psalm 16:8-11 reads, "I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved. 9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will rest in hope. 10 For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption. 11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)