16 June 2013

The DMV Test

After my two week trip to the States, it is good to be back home in Australia.  My ultimate home is in heaven, but Australia works perfectly for the present!  It was a whirlwind of activity:  visiting family, friends, speaking at churches, attend the Calvary Chapel senior pastor's conference, was the best man in a wedding, and everything seemed to involve food.  Fine with me!

Living overseas certainly complicates things.  Thankfully we have the help and support of people in the States to assist.  During this trip, God was so faithful to provide for my needs:  food, housing, transportation, and even some cash to handle incidentals.  A prime example of God's awesome provision took place at the dreaded DMV.

My driver's license was set to expire in a year's time.  Since I could not say for certain when I will be back in the States, it seemed like a wise option to renew my driver's license.  I had to renew in person because my address had changed.  I also was not able to make an appointment in the amount of days I had left.  So 15 minutes before the Department of Motor Vehicles in El Cajon opened last Wednesday, I claimed a spot in line - which was already 60 people deep!  In about half an hour I arrived at the "Start" desk and filled out my application for license renewal.  I took a number and sat down only to hear the announcement:  "Our system is down.  Payment can only be made with cash or check."

Oh no, I thought to myself.  I didn't even think to bring my checkbook (it's been forever since I've written a check!).  I prayed, LORD, help me to have enough money!  When my number was called, thankfully I had enough money to pay the fee - with eight dollars left over!  I was very grateful to those people who had given me cash without even knowing my ATM card was expired and useless.  Then it was off to another line to check my eyesight.  And then to my surprise, I had to take a refresher test of 18 random questions.  If I missed 6, I would have to reschedule on another date in a week's time.  Trouble was, I had a flight booked the next day!  The pressure was on.

Now I had not expected to have to take a test.  It had been over 20 years since I have taken a written test in the DMV, and for over two and a half years I have been driving in Australia!  But how hard could it be, right?  My test must have been comprised of the most obscure, strange questions ever!  There were questions about freezing bridges, time frames concerning notifying the DMV, and parking uphill without a kerb!  As I was taking the test, I saw a woman go up to the counter and was told she needed to reschedule.  I was feeling the stress, I can tell you.  But I continued casting my cares upon Christ as I read and re-read the awkwardly phrased sentences.  The LORD gave me a peace about it, and I turned it in.

Would you believe that I aced the test?  I was ecstatic.  I can affirm with David in 2 Samuel 22:31-33:  "As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. 32 "For who is God, except the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God? 33 God is my strength and power, and He makes my way perfect." God has not promised that all things will go according to our plans, but He has plans which will certainly come to pass.  He knows when a single sparrow falls, and He will provide for us even when our faith is small.  Even when I was sitting there waiting for my results at the DMV, God's Spirit was there to comfort and strengthen.

No matter where you are, God is there for you.  Try Him!  Whether we pass or fail, we find He bears us up in His everlasting arms of love and grace.  When we walk in faith, we pass the true test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)