03 September 2013

Let Jesus In

Picture a husband and wife recently married.  The husband has been away on business and returns to his wife in the middle of the night.  The night is cold and damp.  Embers glow faintly on the hearth, like eyes peering into the room.  In a semi-conscious state, the woman hears her husband knock and call.  The drama unfolds at this moment:  "I sleep, but my heart is awake; it is the voice of my beloved! He knocks, saying, "Open for me, my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one; for my head is covered with dew, my locks with the drops of the night." 3 I have taken off my robe; how can I put it on again? I have washed my feet; how can I defile them?" (Song of Songs 5:2-3)

This is a tiny excerpt from King Solomon's "Song of Songs."  The bride heard the voice of her beloved as he knocked on the door.  He entreated her gently and affectionately, proclaiming his love for her.  In his view, she was flawless and without compare.  He explained the dew had soaked his hair, and he would very much like to come in.  His wife's response is interesting.  Despite his love and affection toward her, she remained unmoved.  She was very comfortable in her warm bed.  She was not wearing her robe and her feet had been freshly washed.  She didn't want to have to wash them again!  Considering the time, opening the door was most inconvenient.  But if she would be honest, these were mere excuses - and selfish at that!  As the story continued, the bride finally made it to the door.  She dolled herself up a bit, even anointing her hands and fingers with liquid myrrh.  Song of Songs 5:6 explains the cost of her delay:  "I opened for my beloved, but my beloved had turned away and was gone. My heart leaped up when he spoke. I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him, but he gave me no answer."

The Beloved is a picture of Jesus Christ, who stands at the door and knocks, calling out our names.  Revelation 3:19-20 says, "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."  Jesus has come to each one of us, even as the husband stood knocking at the door.  What He has been doing is inconsequential, for He is always about His Father's business.  Jesus does not desire only to purchase us as slaves He orders around, but to commune with us intimately in relationship.  But how do we respond when He prompts us to read the Word?  To rise early and pray?  To go on a walk with Him on a dewy morning when we would much rather stay in bed?  If we delay, we can miss important time spent with Him.

When Jesus knocks on the door of our heart, let us open to Him.  Let us shake off our slumber and rise immediately in response to Him.  Should He rebuke, it is a sure sign of His genuine love.  Let us put aside all excuses, and cease trying to make ourselves look good.  Open the door just as you are, even if we have laid aside the robe of righteousness He has provided.  If our feet are dirty, He will wash them.  He has given us this example for us to follow!  He will do even more than this, for if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us from all sin and cleans us from all unrighteousness.  Humbling ourselves in repentance will bring Him skipping across the mountains to meet with us with great joy.  Restoration begins when He knocks and we open the door!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)