26 February 2014

Look to Christ!

Mr. Kennedy was my History teacher at Emerald Junior High in 1993.  He was a man in control, a seasoned veteran of the classroom.  He was one of those older men who had a gruff persona, but also had that twinkle in his eye.  I liked him from the first day.  My appreciation of his experience, knowledge, and teaching methods only grew as the year progressed.  When graduation from year 8 finally came, I mustered up the courage to ask him to sign my yearbook.  He obliged.  After writing a quick note, he said with a straight face, "I usually don't write half that much."  I received his statement as a compliment, and after reading his message knew it was.

Out of all the messages written in my yearbook by friends and teachers, his meant the most to me.  It still means a lot to me now.  Mr. Kennedy was a man who only knew me as a student in his class for a short time, yet there was a man who believed in me.  Outside of my parents and family relations, I don't know of any others who expressed what he did in a couple of sentences.  He concluded with a sentence at the time I hoped would prove prophetic:  "You will do well in anything you try."  It was an important encouragement at an awkward time in my life.  I had entered into public school after being home schooled for 3 years, and was preparing to transition into high school.  I thank God for Mr. Kennedy and the encouragement he provided.  Twenty-one years have passed, and my appreciation for his care burns undimmed.

Back in those days I could never have imagined where the LORD would lead me.  I had aspirations of being a forensic pathologist or a coroner.  Perhaps a baseball career or my budding golf interest would pay future dividends.  God opened a door after two years of university to go into a construction trade, mechanical insulation.  And after a decade God did the absolute unthinkable:  called me into pastoral ministry.  Then God even went further to lead me to settle in Australia and pastor a church!  When I consider how God has directed my life, it blows me away.  I am most thankful and appreciative of all He has done.

I had a strange series of thoughts the other day, and in retrospect I do not know they were mine.  There were suggestions, statements rooted in doubt that did not spring from a perspective of faith.  The devil can be most subtle.  "Look at all your High School friends," the thoughts began.  "Some are doctors, lawyers, professors, business owners, corporate executives, a commercial pilot, a professional baseball player, well-known people of wealth and distinction.  And what have you done?  You are virtually unknown.  Think what could have been should you have chosen a different path.  You could have done this, done that, been somebody."  I didn't think long before I realised the futility of it.  There was an undertone of discontent, envy, and greed that reeked of sulfur in those thoughts.  I confessed my sin as I prayed:  "Please forgive me LORD for even giving place to those thoughts for a second.  Your way is the right way.  I'm happy right where I am, and my satisfaction is in you."

The path of faith in Christ is the only one worth traveling.  If there is anything I desire to do well, it is to follow Jesus faithfully all my days.  I am not rich in worldly goods, but I have all I need.  I am not well known in this world, but I am known by God as His dear child.  And I am not alone!  Last night I read with great delight a passage of a man who has gone before me.  Moses was a man who was raised as a prince, trained by the very best, and at 40 years old had a bright future.  He had wealth, intelligence, fame, and security.  Yet Moses chose to forfeit it all to serve God, believing only God could supply true wealth.  Hebrews 11:24-26:  "By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, 25 choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, 26 esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward."  There it is!  Moses esteemed the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt.  I too have come to the conclusion that the reproach of Christ is greater than all this world could ever offer.  My convictions and beliefs have cost me superficial friendships, but the gain I have through friendship with God and fellowship in the church is of far greater and eternal value.

When you are tempted to look back on what could have been, instead look to the God who was, is, and is to come.  Regret promotes decay and death, whereas faith and hope in God bring light and life.  God is the one who does all things well, and He does not even need to try.  It is a beautiful day when our identity is found in Christ alone:  in the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering.  God is a Redeemer who provides joy unspeakable and peace that passes understanding for eternity.  Jesus is the One who makes all things new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)