25 March 2014

Can You Stand?

We are in a spiritually healthy place when our thoughts, words, and deeds are moved by faith in Jesus Christ.  In this day of relativism and theological revision, it is imperative Christians ground themselves in the Word of God to know truth from error.  Error is not always obvious and requires discernment through the Holy Spirit.  As someone who believes the Bible is the inspired Word of God to be taken literally whenever possible, the scriptures form my theology.  Even though God and His Word have not changed, I have changed over the years.  My understanding has expanded as I have worked to put the scriptures into practice by faith.  After being justified by faith in Christ, the sanctification process has been embraced in varying degrees in my life.  This means change, a transforming work of being moulded more into the image of Jesus.  This means a change of heart, mind, and life for the better!

I cannot stress the importance of living our lives according to scripture.  Our theology must come from the Bible, not from worship songs.  There is a song that God has used to minister to my heart by Matt Maher called, "Lord I Need You."  It well illustrates the cry of my own heart, the recognision of my complete inability to do anything without God.  At the risk of sounding pedantic, there is one phrase in the song that has never set well with me.  It goes, "Teach my song to rise to you when temptation comes my way, and when I cannot stand I'll fall on you.  Jesus you're my hope and stay."  In Christ we find the strength and power to overcome all temptation, for He was tempted in every way yet remained without sin.  Sin becomes a temptation because of the wickedness in our own hearts (James 1:13-15).  The part where I take issue is with the phrase, "...and when I cannot stand I'll fall on you."  I have been thinking:  is this good theology?  I believe I understand what the artist is trying to convey, but I cannot see how it is biblical.

Because I am a flawed human being still in the process of sanctification, falling is more than a likelihood:  it is a certainty.  As I have heard a wise man say, we are all only one bad decision away from a fall.  In a physical sense, people skilled in balance and walking fall all the time:  a high heel failed, ice underfoot, because of advancing age, loss of balance from kicking something, or being pushed over!  We will fall.  I get that.  But the song implies there are times when we "cannot stand" when temptation comes.  In our flesh this is true.  However, the scriptures command us to stand with the assurance God has provided all the strength for us to stand no matter the circumstances.  It is written in Ephesians 6:10-15:  "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace..."  Christians are told we can stand in the evil day and withstand even the direct assault of Satan himself because it is in God's strength we stand.  Is anything too hard for God?  We are to put on the whole armour of God with our feet firmly fixed upon Jesus Christ the Chief Cornerstone.  From this spiritual vantage point, when we walk according to faith in Christ we cannot be moved.  We can always stand.

In one sense, God never commands us to do what we cannot do.  But here is a paradox:  not one thing God commands us can we do in our flesh.  We cannot love others, humble ourselves, or truly forgive from the heart in our unregenerate state.  We cannot stand when we have given place to sin or choose not to walk in faith.  But we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.  No man can stand on his own, but in Christ Christians can and will stand.  Perhaps the line would align better with the scriptures to say, "...And I'll stand because I trust in you.  Jesus you're my hope and stay."  I am so grateful for the truth of God's Word, and for the love God has revealed to all through it.  May we all stand strong in the LORD and in the power of His might!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)