12 March 2014

Thanks For Giving

The cares of this life fade away when we realise and affirm God is in complete control.  What is unknown to me is finished from God's perspective.  During His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus told His disciples not to worry about anything:  the future, the provision of daily necessities like food, clothing, or money, even their physical height or lack thereof!  God knows what we need and is able to provide out of infinite abundance.  It is easy for us to look at our limited resources, our circumstances, and the condition of the world around us and give place to worry instead of placing faith in God because He is in control.

God desires to place in us an ever-growing comprehension of His love and goodness towards us.  He wants us to live according to the knowledge that He is in control of everything.  Abraham believed God, and his faith was accounted as righteousness even before the covenant of God's Law was established.  We live in a day of a New and better Covenant in Christ's blood.  Yet the appropriation of Christ's atoning blood by faith is not a substitute to walking daily by faith even as Abraham did.  This constant, active-reliance upon Christ is to be the framework of our lives as we build on Christ as our foundation.

Words do not suffice for me to illustrate the many ways God has proved Himself worthy to be trusted and praised.  I am continually humbled and frankly baffled at times when I consider the generosity of many who pray for our family and give money to support us financially.  The practical demonstration of your love is overwhelming at times.  I can lay no claim to pray with the tenacity or faith of George Mueller, but I have seen God mightily, miraculously move people to give sacrificially without even a request of men.  Without sharing our needs to any human being, God has provided through our small church, little jobs, and many donations.  I cannot recall writing a single letter detailing specific financial needs, yet God has supplied enough just at the perfect time for all of them.  It is amazing to consider the amount of money that has passed through our hands to provide for our necessities since moving to Australia, a witness of God's grace, mercy, and care.  We have less now than when we sold our house and moved to Sydney, Australia in one sense, but we are so much the richer!  God's provision is the only reasonable explanation.  I have heard the phrase used, "Where God guides God provides," and in a sense that has been true to my experience.  And yet God's provision is not a testimony of my obedience or faith, but solely of God's grace.  It is not by anything I have done but according to His mercy and goodness.  I believe God has guided and God has provided through many willing people who have been led by the Holy Spirit.

With all my heart, I thank all of you who have been used by God to prayerfully and financially support our family over these years.  I cannot repay the kindness you have shown us, yet I know that God will reward you far beyond the value of mere money.  God has used you to increase our faith and know beyond a shadow of doubt He is in control.  I think of the words Paul wrote to the church in Philippi in Philippians 4:15-20, "Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but you only. 16 For even in Thessalonica you sent aid once and again for my necessities. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to your account. 18 Indeed I have all and abound. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. 19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen."  To all who have partnered with us in the Gospel through your love, prayers, and gifts, may much fruit abound to your account.  Praise the LORD that God will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)