24 July 2014

A World of Pain

The Bible tells us in heaven there will be no more pain.  Yet alas, on this earthly side of heaven, we are guaranteed pain.  Pain, sickness, and sorrow are consequences of sin, and as long as we live in this body of flesh, pain will be a part of life.  Even Jesus, a man who never sinned, was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.  He experienced the full range of human pain:  physical suffering, mental anguish, emotional hurts through rejection and betrayal, and spiritual separation from the Father on the cross.  If God should see fit to allow His own Son to suffer and die for the sins of the world as a demonstration of divine love, then pain for those who have received His love need not sting so badly.

It is a truth that often pain must be inflicted before restoration and healing can be experienced.  When I tore my ACL and meniscus in May, it hurt.  Walking was slow and painful.  My knee was stiff, sore, and swollen.  If I twisted it the wrong way or banged it into something, shooting pains told me immediately what I did was not good!  Almost two months have passed and there is no swelling and virtually no more pain.  But there is still a problem.  My anterior cruciate ligament - the major stabilising ligament in the knee - is still gone.  This means I am at high risk of doing more damage to the knee joint and ligaments which are not so easily repaired.  Doing nothing means a certainty of arthritis!  Because of my relatively young age and active lifestyle, surgery is the only way to replace the ligament.  This means today I will be stuck with needles, have my skin cut with a knife, tools will be shoved through keyhole incisions, and a drill will go clear through the bone.  Thankfully I plan not to be conscious during this process!

My point is, some pains and injuries we suffer in life - physical, emotional, and mental - will not get better on their own.  Our greatest pains come from being cut off from a relationship with God because of our sin.  We must come to the place of disturbing the very source of the pain to administer a restorative cure.  I could live with a completely ruptured ACL, but I would have to protect and favour my injured leg.  Even after just two months my other knee has started to hurt because I have been walking slightly off.  Doctors are not healers, but God is.  God is the One who can heal and restore us back to a close relationship with Him.  Even in our physical pain He brings comfort, knowing our pain is not without a purpose.  It is when the pain is too great we are willing to seek help.  Exploring or poking around in my damaged knee without a new ligament to attach would be intensely painful and only cause more scar tissue.  That is all worldly wisdom can accomplish when it comes to a wounded and guilty conscience.  God offers assurance, forgiveness, hope, peace, and love.  God does more than acknowledge our pain, but sets us on a course for healing and salvation.

Today I am heading for a world of pain, but pain isn't always a bad thing.  It is often the door we must pass through to greater revelation, peace, and comfort only God can supply.  It can be the first decisive step to healing and restoration.  Praise God He knows our pain, and in His compassion can do everything to make it work for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)