27 January 2015

Righteous By Faith in Christ

I read a news story I found most illuminating.  Fox News reported a woman in New Hampshire received more than she expected when she visited Burger King.  After driving through to pick up the food she ordered, she realised she had mistakenly been given money intended for a bank deposit.  The article read, "...the couple briefly considered keeping the money, which they certainly could have used. But he says he and his wife are Jehovah's Witnesses, and that "Jehovah sees everything."  I found this mildly amusing and tragic at the same time.

It is true "Jehovah sees everything," but it appears the fear of retribution or punishment for stealing was more a deterrent than loving to do what is righteous and pleases God.  It is sad many people who "fear" God in a worldly sense know nothing of His love, grace, and forgiveness.  God saw this couple briefly considered keeping the money, and the fact they even needed to have a discussion over the dishonest temptation to steal the money condemns of the condition of their hearts.  You see, God cares not only about our external behaviour, but the thoughts and motives of our hearts.  If it is only the fear of being caught and punished which keeps me from criminal activity, the monstrous power and influence of sin remains on the loose-  though concealed before men in my heart.  God sees the heart, and only by spiritual regeneration, forgiveness, and salvation through faith in Christ can sin within us be put to death.

We cannot earn God's favour through external adherence to the law.  The Law of God only condemns, but has provided life and salvation through Jesus Christ, God-made-flesh.  It is only through faith in Jesus we can be reconciled to the Father, adopted as children of God, and made righteous even as Christ is.  Paul wrote in Philippians 3:7-11, "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)