31 January 2015

Trials and Consolation

Today I preached at Calvary Chapel Sydney on 2 Corinthians 1:1-7.  I have been richly blessed in preparing and considering the truths of that passage.  God gave me deeper understanding of His grace, mercy, and comfort through His Word.  It dawned on me how God blesses us whether we recognise it or not.  We can have confidence Paul demonstrated, that even in our trials He will certainly accomplish His redemptive work.

When I think of "good works," I think of sacrificing, serving, or obeying God in some area of my life.  I think of things I choose to do because Christ's love has compelled me.  Yet I am learning sometimes a good work can be our response to situations over which we have little or no control.  It is a good work to endure hard times, trusting God has a plan and purpose He will accomplish despite my ignorance.  When Jesus endured the cross He did a good work.  Jesus did not do this for His own benefit, but His sacrifice accomplished deliverance, redemption, salvation, and comfort for me and all who trust in Him.  It is amazing to consider that even as Christ's suffering benefited me with salvation and consolation, whether I suffer or receive comfort from Him it benefits others with salvation and consolation as well.

I cannot think of any time in scripture when God asks us if we are willing to suffer.  In the life of Paul God divinely revealed to Paul he would suffer greatly for His name's sake.  The 2 Corinthians 1:1-7 passage teaches us with every trial and suffering we experience for Christ's sake there is abundant consolation provided for us.  Sometimes it is God's will we suffer, for in times of trial we mature greatly (James 1:2-4).  The trials we endure are not only for us, but bring salvation and comfort to others through the Holy Spirit.  This is mind blowing, and it is a fundamental truth.  It is not our suffering which enables us to comfort others who suffer, but the fact we have received the Holy Spirit and the comfort He provides.  The more we suffer for Christ's sake, the greater the consolation.

I encourage you to meditate on this passage and see how necessary it is for our souls to align with God's perspective on trials for Christ's sake.  We can suffer as unto the LORD, even as we are to do all things as unto the LORD.  It is a good work when we are in the midst of a trial to say as Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:17-18:  "...for our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."  We maintain an eternal perspective when we focus our eyes on the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity.  Through the prophet in Isaiah 57:15 our gracious Father of mercies and of all comfort said He will dwell in the holy place "with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."  If we humble ourselves before God, He will lift us up.  One day our Saviour will present us faultless before the Father with exceeding joy.  It is all God's doing, and it is glorious in my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)