24 February 2015

The Cake Cycle

Motive often determines outcome.  Even in something like exercise, our motives for why we spend time and effort to intentionally exercise shapes our results - for good or bad.  I have been cycling a bit of late to rehabilitate my surgically repaired right knee.  As an added bonus it has improved my cardiovascular fitness, as well as being a fun challenge to tackle new routes.  The other day I offered the mum of one of my son's friends a slice of carrot cake I had baked.  She had just walked in after a long ride.  "Oh no, but thank you," she said.  "You see, I'm riding my bike to be fit and so I really shouldn't eat any cake today."  I quickly retorted, "Well, I cycle so I can eat cake!"

Do you see the difference?  Because Sally (not her real name) rides her bike to be fit, she viewed eating cake as inconsistent with that activity.  Her concern was indulging her taste buds would "undo" all the benefits she laboured to gain.  In the interaction with Sally I discovered my desire is to eat cake, and so my motive for exercise is primarily to work off any bonus calories I put in.  In thinking this over, I see my way of thinking is problematic - problematic that is, if my primary motive for riding my bike is to be fit.  If I want to be fit, why would I hinder my progress by eating too much dessert?  Why would I make riding harder for myself by putting junk in my tank?

It occurred to me the same issue with motive can play out concerning our spiritual walk with Jesus Christ.  Are spiritual disciplines something we do so we can justify doing what we want when we want?  After of long day of Bible study, a counseling session, meetings, teaching, writing, and prayer, I can feel very much like numbing myself with some television, gaming, scrolling, or swiping.  But wouldn't it be better that we limit or cease certain activities because our lives are so caught up in loving and seeking God?  Because we are seeking God, we refuse to give into the demands of the flesh.  Obeying God, denying self, and serving others shouldn't become a justification for "me time."  The result is spiritual stagnation and a cycle of works, labouring to "earn" the right to a reward we have picked out for ourselves - which isn't always good for us.

Now don't misunderstand:  God has given us hobbies, interests, and everything to richly enjoy.  We do have freedom in Christ, yet not everything we can do is helpful or beneficial.  It's a good thing to consider our motive concerning why we read our Bibles, go to church, or pray.  Is it something to "get out of the way" so we can do the thing we are really looking forward to - like working hard on that bike to earn a frosty root beer float after dinner?  When it comes to the deeds of the flesh Sally's perspective is best:  "I'm not going to indulge the flesh because I have sought, am seeking, and will continue to seek God today."  The flesh is happy to make deals to indulge itself, but our new lives given us by faith in Christ ought to be invested to please God.  By God's grace, by the Holy Spirit, according to His Word we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)