23 February 2015

Precious Thoughts

While driving last night I had a fun and enlightening conversation with God.  In a relationship with God we have the freedom to have some very unorthodox thoughts.  My thoughts were something like this:  "God, if you were confined within time and I was the only person in the entire world, would you be bored?  Would you go for hours without hearing from me?  Would your life consist of a fair amount of thumb twiddling because I was off doing my own thing?"

Thought immediately flooded into my mind that went something like this.  "You have it all wrong.  Even if you were the only person in the world, my thoughts would be continuously focused on you even if you didn't regard me at all."  Then a scripture came to mind.  The truth of Psalm 139:17-18 hit home:  "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; when I awake, I am still with You."  God's loving thoughts toward me do not depend on me at all.  He is not waiting around for me to involve Him with my life because He is proactive in exhibiting genuine love for me.  God is God, and therefore He is able to be personally involved with everyone on the planet simultaneously.  We all have all His attention at all times, and this my friends should be a great source of awe and overwhelming joy.

God delights in people, and has a special place for those who trust and include Him as a response to His love.  We are limited by time and our attention span is finite.  Some of us struggle to do two things at once!  But God does not "multitask" like people do.  His thoughts are good toward us, even when we wander, forget about Him, or even rebel.  We see this illustrated with the children of Israel, His chosen people.  Jeremiah 29:10-14 says, "For thus says the LORD: After seventy years are completed at Babylon, I will visit you and perform My good word toward you, and cause you to return to this place. 11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your captivity; I will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you, says the LORD, and I will bring you to the place from which I cause you to be carried away captive."  When God says "I will," we can know for certain He will.

God loves me and you.  His thoughts of us are more than the grains of sand in all the seas on this planet.  If only we realised how precious we are in God's sight!  Praise Him for His goodness and love He lavishes freely on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)