04 January 2016

Meeting God's Conditions

"If I keep drinking, I'm going to die."  The wide eyes of the heavily tattooed man stared unflinching into mine.  "I have to get clean.  I'll do anything."  This man had walked into the church minutes before, asking to speak with a pastor.  That's one thing about serving the LORD:  you never know who He will bring across your path or what unexpected thing He might call you to do.

"If you're serious, I know of a place which can help you get clean," I told him.  "Let me warn you though:  it is a very intensive program which requires total commitment.  It is a free program, but you have to commit to a year of staying clean, working your way towards a job and renting your own place, and Bible study."  I didn't want to waste the man's time or the time of the people at Set Free, as it was called at that time.  I spent a few moments explaining my basic understanding of what was offered and requirements my visitor would be subjected to.  He was keen because in his mind it was a choice between life and death.  He had been recently locked up and didn't have transportation, so I gave him a ride over to the facility because time was of the essence.

Upon arriving, I talked with a pastor I had met before.  After my new friend briefly explained his alcohol addiction and dire situation, the pastor in a friendly manner began to explain the program.  As my friend sparked up a cigarette the pastor said with a smile, "And that's another thing.  You'll have to give up smoking."  All the sudden the demeanor of my friend changed.  He became extremely nervous, almost agitated.  "Man, quit smoking?  I can't do that.  I can't smoke in the program?  I just bought this new pack of cigarettes!"  The discussion continued, and I watched that man begin to work his way through the whole pack, still debating whether the program was for him or not.

I never knew whether my friend ended up entering into the rehabilitation program or not.  It was free to those without money, but it was not without personal cost - a cost that man initially was loathe to pay.  He saw his drinking as a life and death issue, but not his smoking.  What he did not seem to realise was refusal to give up cigarettes would disqualify him from the program which could save his life - so his smoking was just as deadly as his drinking.  Refusal to agree to quit smoking was symptomatic of a spiritual heart problem more deadly than lung cancer.  This shortsightedness is not limited to alcoholics.  We can do the same thing as Christians.  We might recognise sinful problems in our lives and deem some worse than others when they are all linked and equally deadly.  We might want to be rid of an addiction because of the negative impact we perceive in our lives, but other things can also control our hearts and equally distance us from God and fellowship with others.  It is stubborn disobedience and unwillingness to submit to God in our hearts which proves more deadly than actions which are mere symptoms of an inner sickness.

Sin brings death.  It is not alcohol or smoking in themselves which doom a man to hell, but the refusal to confess and repent of sins, choosing to deny self and obey God.  If there is anything in your life which hinders you from coming to Jesus to be forgiven and cleansed, holding onto that thing says you love it more than Life Himself.  Does God have your affections and desire?  Are you willing to do everything He asks without question?  Or is there one little thing you are not yet willing to submit to His rule?  Following Jesus is a life and death decision.  To follow Him is life, and all other ways are death.  Giving up the old life and choosing to follow God in obedience requires faith.  As it is written in Hebrews 11:6, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)