06 January 2016

The Bountiful Refuge

Few people have ever been the focus of a nation-wide manhunt, but David was such a one.  King Saul, infuriated over David's popularity with the people, his suspicion stoked with pride, sought to hunt David down and kill him.  Though David had also been anointed king of Israel, he refused to wage a smear campaign or command his men to retaliate against the LORD's anointed, King Saul.  He left the comforts of home and family and fled into the wilderness.  Many times David sought refuge in a cave, and the heading in my Bible says Psalm 142 was written during one of these occasions.

He wrote Psalm 142:1-6:  "I cry out to the LORD with my voice; with my voice to the LORD I make my supplication. 2 I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble. 3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk they have secretly set a snare for me. 4 Look on my right hand and see, for there is no one who acknowledges me; refuge has failed me; no one cares for my soul. 5 I cried out to You, O LORD: I said, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living. 6 Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I."  David sought refuge in a cave, but it only could provide temporary and feeble protection for his body.  As he held his breath in the deep, dark recesses of the cave, he knew the cave could also be his tomb.  In the musty blackness he knew a bright light would betray his presence to his perusing enemy.

But in the darkness David discovered the peace and presence of God, the One who was a refuge for his soul.  God knew exactly where David was, how unjustly and wickedly he had been treated, and the greatness of his need.  David sought refuge in a cave, but the cave was not David's refuge:  God was!  When David was overwhelmed, he cried out to God and was heard.  In God was a sure hope no damp cavity of earth can provide.  He concluded his song in Psalm 142:7:  "Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise Your name; the righteous shall surround me, for You shall deal bountifully with me."  Through God those who trust Him have abundant salvation and deliverance.  Have you made God your refuge in faith?  Jesus has come to set the captives free and proclaim liberty to those in bondage.  There is no substitute for the refuge provided in Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)