22 April 2016

The Scuff Mark Lesson

I have just returned home from a wonderful week as speaker at Camp Kedron, a Christian holiday camp.  God truly moved among leaders and campers alike, and over the next few posts I hope to share some observations and things the LORD revealed to me.  It all started with a scuff mark on the ceiling.

Lately my right shoulder has been a bit sore from landing on it awkwardly playing baseball a few weeks back.  As I lay down on the floor to stretch and adjust the shoulder back into the correct position, I noticed a small black mark on the ceiling.  Fixing my eyes upon it, a series of questions flooded through my brain, and to them I had no answer.

"Do you know who made that scuff mark?"  Nope.

"Do you know when that scuff mark occurred?"  No.

"Do you know what object made the mark?"  No again.

"Do you know how it happened?"  No!

Then came the kicker:  "If you don't know anything about a simple black mark on the ceiling, what makes you think you know anything about the problems others have in their hearts and lives?"  Laying on my back in my room, I had been wisely instructed by the LORD.  God knew all about the history of a scuff mark, and He also knows everything about people He created and loves.  He knows the painful history, the strong temptations, blind spots, sins, and issues people are facing.  And the best part about all this is He knows how to deal with them in love, grace, and truth.  While we might be preoccupied with quickly removing scuff marks or covering them up, He knows how He can redeem those mistakes and trials for His glory - even teaching from a scuff mark on  a ceiling.

That's the God I serve.  He is awesome, wise, and blows my mind continually.  I praise and worship the God of Israel, my heavenly Father, the One who knows me and loves me.  He speaks freely to all who have eyes to see and ears to hear by His grace.  He doesn't just point out our faults but freely forgives and redeem them for our good and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)