08 July 2016

Saul's Armour Doesn't Fit

Over the life of this blog one post which has garnered the most attention is "Beware of Saul's Armor."  Until now I have not felt led to write of my experience which inspired it.  I believe the post about Saul's Armor strikes a chord in the hearts of all people who long to walk by faith in God and not by sight.  I write of my experience not to be a "rabble-rouser," to be foolhardy, or to justify rebellion against biblical authority.  I feel it necessary as I did those many years ago to exhort Christians to never substitute programs or an arm of flesh to accomplish what only God can do.  We can fall into the trap in looking to others to validate our call to ministry or using worldly methods and safety nets rather than simply following the leading of God.

When I was living in San Diego and on staff as a youth pastor in 2005, I had a clear leading from God to minister in the east side of Australia.  The overwhelming sense of this idea and accompanying desire was so vivid and out of nowhere I waited months before relating the impression to my wife.  This idea of moving to the east coast of Australia was constant and persistent though I was completely satisfied with my life in the U.S.  I was happy and had never aspired to be a pastor, much less immigrate across the world!  I knew no one in Australia, did not know where I was going, when it would happen, or how it would come to pass.  But on March 4th, 2009, God supplied a clear leading to contact a church in Brisbane, Australia.  This date is the background for the name of this blog, being a significant date to my wife and me because it is the only date which can also be stated (albeit American style!) as an action.

The call came though I did not know where, when I would be going, or how I would be serving.  I believed it would be wise to begin preparations before actually leaving for Australia.  Since my current fellowship at the time was not set up to manage donations, health care, and provide accountability for foreign missionaries, I began looking into ministries which did.  I made an appointment to interview with such a ministry, took a day off work, and went early to the interview.  After excitedly telling my story to the staff which assembled around a table of God's miraculous call to minister in Australia, the confirmation He had provided through God's Word and my wife, I was not prepared for their response.

What I remember more than what they said is the smugness in which it was said.  After exchanging knowing looks with each other and turning me me with eyes of sympathy, I can sum up what they said like this:  "We get a lot of people like you - thinking God has called them to overseas ministry.  But many times people aren't prepared for the rigours of being a missionary.  They end up coming back, sitting in that chair crying and wanting to come home."  Then they proceeded to tell me that before they would take me on as a partner missionary I needed to go through their program, my family would have to spend several weeks in a local mission, and raise at least 70% financial support before I would have their blessing to go.  I imagine I felt like David when Saul said, "Alright, I give you permission to fight Goliath.  But before you go you need to try on my armour for size."  Now don't misunderstand:  there is nothing wrong with training for missionaries and wisely planning ahead.  There must be nothing worse for mission sending agencies who have to deal with flaky people who have romantic notions of the mission field or are trying to run from unresolved issues they lug with them wherever they go.

As I sat in that chair listening to the bleak picture they painted of my future I thought within myself, "We'll see about that."  Speaking for myself, the concept of requiring me to go through a program before I stepped out in faith in God was disgraceful.  I was indignant.  Through God I had already experienced His deliverance from lions and bears:  why would a giant be any harder for God to bring down?  It turned out I wasn't a good fit for them and what I saw as the equivalent of Saul's Armour was not a good fit for me.  Submission to authority was not the problem for me, but to substitute a program in place of faith was.  Praise the LORD, for by Friday that week God connected me with Shepherd's Staff.  I submitted my application and my relationship with them has proved to be a brilliant fit.  Instead of questioning or doubting God's call upon my life there was genuine excitement and interest demonstrated by the pastor who interviewed me.

So where am I now?  Since 2009 much has happened.  My family and I have moved to Sydney, Australia - one of the most expensive places in the world to live.  God has continued to provide for all our needs without us directly asking anyone for money.  We prayed to God and made known how people can give if they are so led. I even told people years ago in a special email not to feel obligated to give, yet we have been so blessed how people continue to give.  I am the pastor of Calvary Chapel Sydney in Castle Hill with the most lovely people.  I have been given the opportunity to read with foster kids, speak at Christian holiday camps and Bible Institutes, to go on mission trips, to teach God's Word multiple times at church every week, lead discipleship courses, and to teach scripture in a public school.  And this is the kicker:  last year my family and I became dual citizens!  Guess what?  God has done exactly as He promised us through His Word.  Where there was uncertainty God brought clarity, and what was absolutely impossible God has done.  I give all glory to God for doing His wonders and I can personally testify of His faithfulness and provision.  I look back upon all God has done and realise in myself I am nothing and have accomplished nothing:  God has done it all without needing Saul's ill-fitting armour.

Sometimes this walk of faith in Jesus Christ looks foolish to people in the world and even to some in the church.  What some see as necessary based upon their own experience might indeed by folly - a worthless substitute for spiritual power and simple obedience to God's leading which will only encumber.  Again, there is value and wisdom in training and preparation for ministry as a Christian and God's ways are often quite unorthodox.  God saw fit for my training for ministry to take place on construction jobsites for over a decade.  Instead of seminary He put me through over 10 years of teaching Sunday school, 6 years teaching a home fellowship, and 4 years of being a youth pastor and building-maintenance-man at a church.  God is the One who calls, sends, provides for and establishes His people all over the globe for His glory.  There is no substitute for the leading of the Holy Spirit and the truth of God's Word.  What I wrote many years ago I still find true:  why not go with Who brought us here?  If it is a step of faith to enter into a program or school, good!  If the Spirit of God has you do something which has never been done before, do it with all your might.  Those who trust God will see His glory.  When God's work is ours He will see it done in His time and way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To uphold the integrity of this site, no comments with links for advertising will be posted. No ads here! :)